Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Question Another food question

So my dog at the entire bottle of my betta's pellets a while back The only place here in town to get food is walmart, and when I went there to get more pellets, they were out and all they had were freeze dried bloodworms.

I did buy more pellets, but kept feeding my betta the bloodworms because he seemed to prefer them. It wasn't until recently I found out they are not that great for his health

Now he isn't even touching the pellets. I am planning on buying the Omega One pellets (the one I have now is TetraBetta, also the only pellets walmart sells, and they aren't that great either,) but they don't sell them in town so I'll either have to make a trip to go buy them or order them online, which will take awhile.

Should I continue trying to get him to eat the pellets until I get a different brand? I also have Tetra tropical flakes, which I never try to give him because I heard (before I bought my betta) that they can get stuck in his fins, and they also make a big mess. I ended up hiding them because other people were feeding him too much of the flakes without me knowing and the bottom of his tank was covered in them.

He didn't have a problem eating the pellets until after I got the freeze dried bloodworms, but I'm not sure if it's better that he eats those than nothing at all. He chases the pellets around when they get tossed around by the filter, but he will not eat them.

I also scoop them out of his tank if he doesn't eat them for longer than five minutes because I don't want them sinking to the bottom and making his new tank a mess.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have read stop feeding for a bit and he will pellets.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Could you purchase frozen bloodworms and Vita-chem? I wouldn't recommend freeze-dried bloodworms and vita-chem as your staple diet, but frozen and added vitamins should be perfectly fine. Otherwise, wait him out and don't offer any more freeze dried until he is eating the pellets well.

Another thing to consider, how big at the pellets? They might be uncomfortable for him to eat if they are too big.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bloodworms are great weekly snack.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you tried fasting him for a few days? What he's doing isn't uncommon when they get used to the blood worms. Fortunately for me, none of mine refuse any kind of food. I'd keep feeding the pellets to get him used to eating them for when you get a different kind.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks guys!

Like I said, he was eating the pellets fine before I had to get the freeze-dried bloodworms, so I don't think they are too big. Usually he would break parts off of them and eat them in two bites.

I'll keep trying to give him the pellets until he eats them. I'm still wanting a better brand, though. I can't get anything but those pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms, and tropical flakes from our walmart. It's a small walmart with a small selection.

Thank you :)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
So my dog at the entire bottle of my betta's pellets a while back The only place here in town to get food is walmart, and when I went there to get more pellets, they were out and all they had were freeze dried bloodworms.

I did buy more pellets, but kept feeding my betta the bloodworms because he seemed to prefer them. It wasn't until recently I found out they are not that great for his health

Now he isn't even touching the pellets. I am planning on buying the Omega One pellets (the one I have now is TetraBetta, also the only pellets walmart sells, and they aren't that great either,) but they don't sell them in town so I'll either have to make a trip to go buy them or order them online, which will take awhile.

Should I continue trying to get him to eat the pellets until I get a different brand? I also have Tetra tropical flakes, which I never try to give him because I heard (before I bought my betta) that they can get stuck in his fins, and they also make a big mess. I ended up hiding them because other people were feeding him too much of the flakes without me knowing and the bottom of his tank was covered in them.

He didn't have a problem eating the pellets until after I got the freeze dried bloodworms, but I'm not sure if it's better that he eats those than nothing at all. He chases the pellets around when they get tossed around by the filter, but he will not eat them.

I also scoop them out of his tank if he doesn't eat them for longer than five minutes because I don't want them sinking to the bottom and making his new tank a mess.

It seemed to me that you are having the same problem as me... After feeding my male Betta Freeze Dried Bloodworms... he went on a diet with only Freeze Dried Bloodworms... the first thing later I did was stop giving him anyfood... for about 1 week

1. Stopped giving Freeze Dried Bloodworms
2. He got skinny after that and sort of went into a sick state... :(
3. Though as soon as he got better.... he became very very hungry... how can I tell??? He was swimming against the plastic side of the tank wall towards me when ever I came to feed the others...
4. From that moment... I fed him small amounts of pellets.. my pellets are COBALT Pellets... so I had to soak it in little water and wait for it to get soft...
5. Then I fed him some... not to the point of him getting full but just some..
6. I kept feeding him small amounts and gradually feeding more and more each day of the amount he can consume... when ever I gave him a larger piece and he spit it out.. then I knew he needed smaller pieces...
7. Eventually he can eat larger particles of the food and he got better... Just that he is alittle skinny and is starting to gain weight little by little...

HOPE THIS HELPED!!!
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The hunger works because they are hungry and when you are hungry you will eat almost anything. My Betta is never spoiled even with his many brands.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

He is doing just that - swimming against the plastic side of the tank wall towards me. He gets excited to see me when I get near the tank but still won't touch the pellets. He puts his mouth up to them like he is going to eat them, but then just swims off without touching them. They float near the filter and the current pushes them down and he chases them but won't eat them. A few have been sucked up by the filter. He keeps getting excited and swimming back and forth, but has no interest in the pellets. :(

Oh well, I'll keep offering them and hopefully he'll eventually accept them again. It's only been a day since I've been trying to get him to eat the pellets so he's not getting skinny or anything yet.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #10 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
He is doing just that - swimming against the plastic side of the tank wall towards me. He gets excited to see me when I get near the tank but still won't touch the pellets. He puts his mouth up to them like he is going to eat them, but then just swims off without touching them. They float near the filter and the current pushes them down and he chases them but won't eat them. A few have been sucked up by the filter. He keeps getting excited and swimming back and forth, but has no interest in the pellets. :(

Oh well, I'll keep offering them and hopefully he'll eventually accept them again. It's only been a day since I've been trying to get him to eat the pellets so he's not getting skinny or anything yet.
Oh then that's good...

I believe he is just being very picky and annoying... My Betta does that with my COBALT Pellets... they have been eating New Life Spectrum Flakes ever since I raised and got them... so when you switch food like that and sometimes the food isn't as close tasting as their other foods then it might take awhile for them to get use to it and eat it...

Just that I think you shouldn't give him other foods other than the pellets.. because that means that he is going to be forced to eat the pellets and therefore he can get use to it..

Goodluck
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote