Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

I JUST took these. The first one is him burrowing into the rocks and the second, you can see the rust color better.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #12 
shellieca

If you look at the 2 pics you posted, in the 1st the Bettas fins are spread out, flowing, while your Bettas seem to be closed up & kept close to his body. Now that just may be the pic you took but clamped fins are just that clamped shut. Hopefully that makes sense. Someone else may have a better explanation. The heater should slowly raise the temp since the water is so cool, it won't hurt him so long as its a gradual temp increase. I honestly think once he gets the right temp for his water he'll really improve. I can't speak for the meds because I've never used them. As I stated previously, velvet, if that's what he has can be treated by blacking out the tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #13 
shellieca

Those speckles? IMO that's his coloring.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Alright, I was just wondering, because he's blue and that color is reddish.

Also, both pictures are him, so then he doesn't have clamped fins.

Thank you!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #15 
shellieca

They can change colors, I have a VT that has gone from pink on his head & neck to burgundy. When it 1st started on his neck I thought he had injured himself. Both pics are him? In the last set of pics his top fin looks clamped but once he has warm, clean, conditioned water I think he'll perk up.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, both pictures are of him. In some of the pictures he is swimming forward, and when he does so his dorsal fin usually lays against his body, unless he is flaring, which he does when he can see his reflection in the glass. His pectoral fins are usually always fluttering around pretty fast, though.

And I hope so :) his water is pretty clean now, but he does need a heater. Like I said, I'll hopefully have one tomorrow.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Just an update: he ate one of the pellets today, after I soaked it for awhile. Before he was spitting them out and very violently digging into the rocks trying to get to them after they sunk and I was afraid he would hurt himself
(I could hear the marbles clinking together when he did so). He didn't spit out the last one I gave him.

Also, his fins seem to be even more open now, and he isn't darting around anymore, but he gets excited to see me. I can tell he wanted food, but kept spitting out his pellets. I still don't have a heater for him yet, though.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #18 
shellieca

Glad he's showing some I improvement. Keep up with the water changes & get that heater the he'll really improve.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you! Unfortunately, when my brother went to pick up a heater, all they had that was adjustable were 100watts or higher, so I ordered one today along with silk plants, aquarium salt and a master test kit. The heater is estimated to take the longest to get here :(

He did get me Aqueon pellets, which are much smaller and easier to eat, plus they are healthier. I gave him three, and he ate them right up without having to eat them in chunks :) Glad he's not being picky. They were out of the Omega one pellets.

He also got me a little Patrick decoration to go with my spongebob and squidward houses, and Im getting a Gary one, too :)