Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #1 
smurphie08

Unhappy White String

My betta fish had a white string like thing hanging under his head. It is sorta brown at the top but mostly white. It keeps getting longer. I dont know what it is? Or what to do to help him?
smurphie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #2 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphie08 View Post
My betta fish had a white string like thing hanging under his head. It is sorta brown at the top but mostly white. It keeps getting longer. I dont know what it is? Or what to do to help him?

OMG!!! can it be a parasitic worm attaching to his gill plates... or even worse his gills... Do you have any pictures...!!!!???
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #3 
smurphie08

I dont know what it is!! Here are some pics
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #4 
Nothingness

Its poo
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

If it white i am wondering if it internal parasites? Is it really white? Is he acting healthy? How big is his tank and how much/how often you do his water changes? How long you have him?
He looks healthy on the picture.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #6 
JikoJiko

Quote:
I dont know what it is!! Here are some pics
well it looks like it is coming out of his rear end... so perhaps just poopoo... Let it take time... and the poopoo will go away.. mines does that too...

I think that is a meaning of the fish not really being super healthy... because my sick fish has that kind of poo... if its not sick it would of been like darker colored poo (depending on the food you gave him).... but it will go away...

If its not poo.. then it would be a parasite... or something.. that latches onto its host... Hope you figure out what this is.. cause I have no clue what it is..
Old 11-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #7 
smurphie08

Thanks for the suggestions. its attacked right under his fin or looks like its coming out there. And its fairly white. I hope its just poopoo.. he has just never had this and i have had him 3 years now. He is in a 3 gallon tank and we change it fairly reguarly.. not as much as we should... he has been leaving food in the tank and that never happens but he doednt act that sick so thats a postive. If it is an internal parasite what can i do to make it go away?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Can i ask if your tank is cycled or if you just do 100% water changes?
If he is acting healthy, and he is not bloated as i can see on the picture i would just watch his poop for next time. Make sure he is not bloated and his poo is normal color. Did you feed him more then regularly? What color was his food before he pooped?
If his behavior will changed and he will act sick (lethargic, stop eating, bloated) then i would assume that he might have internal parasites.
I would buy Epsom salt in case he has internal parasites and medications. You always can return medications if you don't use them.
He really looks healthy but with internal parasites fish health will deteriorate very fast. So any changes in worse meaning that he is sick and then i would act fast.
Epsom salt will help to purge the parasites out.
To specifically treat internal parasites, a medicine with metronidazole is best. Hikari HealthAid Metro+ and Seachem Metro both work. Also API is good brand.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #9 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. its attacked right under his fin or looks like its coming out there. And its fairly white. I hope its just poopoo.. he has just never had this and i have had him 3 years now. He is in a 3 gallon tank and we change it fairly reguarly.. not as much as we should... he has been leaving food in the tank and that never happens but he doednt act that sick so thats a postive. If it is an internal parasite what can i do to make it go away?
sorry for that... I have never had that happen to my fishes so I would not know the right suggestions... the best thing that is possible to do without much money is doing water changes.. and hope it gets better... there are medications that the betta can eat and help it internally... but most meds are for physical...
Old 11-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #10 
smurphie08

Thank yall so much! The tank is cycled.... we feed him twice a day the flakes which are brown greenish....I will keep watching him and if he starts acting sick ill try epsom salt! How much epsom salt should i put in the water? will it hurt him to do it even if he doesnt have a parasite as a recaution?

Last edited by smurphie08; 11-21-2012 at 08:19 PM.