Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

Fish for my 20 gallon

I have a 20 gallon tank which I am going to stock with my male betta and 4-6 cories. I would really like to have a few more fish though to add a little more excitement to the tank. What fish, if any, could live peacefully in a 20 gallon with a betta and cories?

I don't want there to be any chance for fin nipping since my betta's fins are very delicate and he is prone to fin rot so I don't think fish like tetras would work. I also don't want any more bottom feeders since I will be getting corydoras. Since I am inexperienced with fish, I want something that is easy to care for and I won't get any more fish if there's a chance of overstocking. Are there any fish that would work for my tank?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #2 
hannah16

Not positive, but maybe glow fish....
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #3 
Leopardfire

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #4 
Phaydra

I've had one male Betta in a tank with Pearl Danios but I think Glofish might be a bit too bright. The trouble with Danios is they are also top dwelling fish and extremely active. Danios like strong currents too. The Betta I had with them was very docile. If you like Danios though pick a short fin variety and a muted color. I have a video of my 40g in Aquariums Tab if you want to see how active Danios are. You can see in the video how they like to play in the current from the return on my filter. I have Glofish aka Zebra Danios. You could go with Rasboras. I've always heard they are good with Bettas and not known to be fin nippers. They are easy to care for and there are a few choices on colors as well.

Last edited by Phaydra; 11-29-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #5 
Leopardfire

I've heard that harlequin rasaboras are good from another user too. If I got them, how many could I get without risking overstocking considering the other fish I will be having in the tank?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Danios and Glofish are the same thing, they were just mutated with color. And they need a tank that's at least 2-4 feet long, needy fish. :p You want middle dweller fish..? Betta on the top, catfish on the bottom. Hm... Tetras are your best bet, different kinds but still. I have no idea.

Last edited by LebronTheBetta; 11-30-2012 at 07:08 PM.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Danios and Glofish are the same thing, they were just mutated with color. And they need a tank that's at least 2-4 feet long, needy fish. :p
You want middle dweller fish..? Betta on the top, catfish on the bottom. Hm... Tetras are your best bet, different kinds but still. I have no idea.
Geneticaly Modified.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #8 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardfire View Post
I've heard that harlequin rasaboras are good from another user too. If I got them, how many could I get without risking overstocking considering the other fish I will be having in the tank?
8 to 10 would be a good number. They are smaller fish. They are mid-top dwelling so they are right about the mark you are looking for.

I hope I made it clear in my post Glofish are a type of Danio.

Last edited by Phaydra; 11-30-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Tetras are a good choice. Platys can be iffy, as are danios. Some bettas do not mind, but some fish... can be rightfully mean! Harlequins are good, and 8 would be a good number. Just remember to add high and low plants, along with hide holes at all levels (use of taller ornaments, caves for the bottom, etc)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You could just create a large school of Cories.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon tank, compatibility, stocking