Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #1 
Butterfly

Cycling, pH question

I just got my 5-gal Fluval Chi in the mail+testing kit+cover+plants(amazon sword and some other plant I can't think about..moss balls to be added soon) :D

I set it up, put filtered water in+bacterial growth product liquid thing that the tank came with and a small piece of raw shrimp in a nylon. 2nd day and the ammonia reading is still 0ppm. The reading in Fred's tiny tank is .25ppm!(changed it don't worry). The water in the Chi is cloudy yay so that means bacteria is colonizing?

Anyways, I always thought my water pH was between 6.8-7. I tested it last night and it was about 7.4-.6! :( Fred seems to be just fine in it and he's happy. Will this be okay for him since he's already been living in it for a few weeks?

How long will it take for my tank to colonize? Should I put more shrimp in(I only have about 1/5th of a medium shrimp since it's only a 5 gal tank).

Thanks!
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

The Ph is where you want it, if the Ph drops into the low-mid 6's it can actually cause cycling problems even with an established tank. Most people's tap water is mid to upper 7's so yours is good. As for the tank cycling, it can take a while for the ammonia to build up when using an ammonia sour e other than pure ammonia. Personally I would add more shrimp to get the ammonia up faster. When you need to remove the shrimp stick it in a Baggie, pop it the freezer until you need it again, if you want.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

That cloudy bacterial bloom is not the bacteria you want for your nitrogen cycle.

The amount of rotting shrimp/ammonia will not determine how fast your tank will cycle. But, having live nitrifying bacteria will shorten the cycle time.

Is there a filter in Fred's tank? Gravel? If his tank is filtered, you may have bacteria in the filter and/or the gravel which you can use to "seed" your 10g. It is a little early for that, however.

To directly answer your question: If you get nitrite readings within a month, you have a fast cycle going. Don't feel bad if it takes twice that long.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #4 
Butterfly

Live nitrifying bacteria? I just put in new gravel(rinsed very well) and two plants(amazon sword and water primrose). Last night it was ph 7.4 nitrite .25 ammonia 2
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote