Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 
Ederan

Please don't be dropsy...

Hey guys, first post here. Any way, My betta, Little Buddy, is a 2 year old (to me, no idea how old he was in the pet store when I got him) Bi-color Veil tail, and about two weeks ago, I noticed he obtained a large bump/bloating that extends to both sides of him :(

I have him in a 20g tank with 5 Neon Black tetras, a Siamese Algae eater, a Pea Puffer, and 4 Corys and 2 Hillstream Loaches. They all get a long great with the exception of my Pea Puffer pushing the others around a bit, but nothing extremely aggressive.

Any way, I noticed it form after one feeding. I put in a cube of Frozen Brine shrimp, which I've now reduced to half or a quarter cube (was too much food). I give it to them about once a week to supplement the daily feedings, once a day of either flake or floating pellets, and sinking pellets for the Corys. Now I noticed it was too much food as all the fish took on a bloated quality, and there was still about half of the cube left over. All the other fish are fine now, but my Little Buddy is still bloated :( I started fasting him off and on over the last few weeks, and isolating him during feed times (so he doesn't eat to much), as well as adding some aquarium salt about 15mins ago.

Is there anything I should be more careful about? Could this be caused by something else??

Oh, and his fins used to be a lot more beautiful, but for a time my girlfriend and I had both our Bettas in a divided 10g tank, and one or the other would find his way to the other side despite our best efforts to conceal them from one another, and my Little Betta has never really recovered. He's had a bit of a rough go to be honest. When I first got him as a gift from my g/f for our 1st yr anniversary, I went all out and bought him a 10g tank and the whole works, and then added 6 Silver tip tetras later on. Which I found out to be a terrible idea, as he was almost chewed apart. My Little Buddy just can't catch a break but he's still holding on!!! I know its mostly my fault and up to me to acquire the necessary knowledge, which is why I'm coming to you guys!!
Attached Images

Ederan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #2 
Pastel

if it is a swim bladder disorder and it's just from over feeding, and he's constipated you could try a cooked pea. Remove the shell and feed him a small bit of the meat in the pea. It should help move things a long. Also a 2-3 day of fasting, and making him flare will also help him to pass any blockage.

You can also try a little epsom salt to help with the bloating, 1 tsp per gallon.

If it is dropsy his scales would be raised and make him look like a pine cone.

I hope your little guy gets better!
Pastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #3 
Ederan

thanks! I have been fasting him on and off, maybe for longer periods then required. but it hasn't shown any signs of shrinking. He is a little more lethargic, though he still occasionally interacts with the other fish and always with me. I've added aquarium salts today for the first time, so hopefully we'll see some improvements. I'm not 100% sure on his scales though, they look like they could be starting to raise, but their still pretty flat. I'll try a cooked pea tomorrow as I've already fed him today. He's beginning to dislike being isolated for feeding lately too. Before he almost eagerly swam into the container.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #4 
ktbrew

Aww, he's a cute little guy! I have a rescue with swim bladder issues. I think he's has a bit of a deformity, but when I got him he was extremely constipated and bloated. At first I wondered if it was dropsy because his scales almost looked "pineconed" from the bloating.

I posted about it and did what Old Fish Lady told me with epsom salts and humidity and within a week, my little fish had the biggest, black, round poop ever. I couldn't believe he didn't die passing that thing! He still has other issues caused from being deformed, but let me tell you after he passed that thing, he has been a different fish, happier, social, and active. Here's the link to the thread....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=119759
ktbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #5 
Ederan

Awesome!! thanks for the link! I guess a bit of searching could have been helpful as well but after three weeks I'm starting to get worried. He is the first fish I've ever owned!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #6 
ktbrew

He's lucky to have someone that is concerned and is trying to look for a solution rather than just wait it out. I wish the best for you two! Keep me updated!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 
Ederan

So I've got a QT warming up right now, just a 2g bowl. Once that's up to temperature I'll switch him over, I've also tracked down some Epsom salts and added 2 tsp to the tank. Yesterday and today I tried making him flare which resulted in a few bubbles yesterday, and today there was a single bubble as well as him getting him to pass a bit!! I think it tires him out pretty quick though, he didn't have the energy to flare as long as he did yesterday. I'll maybe try to get him to flare every 2-3 days so he doesn't get too exhausted. He shows no sign of clamping. Here's to hoping he pulls through!!

Note to self....be more strict on how much they eat and when >.< To be truthful my girlfriend and I don't keep a regular feeding schedule, and we noticed that in all our tanks our fish always seem to eat too much when we do feed them. So we're going to have to discipline ourselves to more regular feed times and smaller portions :) And regular maintenance. All our tanks are over filtered (at least double of whats required) so we can go longer between filter changes, but alas, that could be done a bit more often as well. We have 4 tanks at 20g, 25g, 27g, and 55g so it just makes things a little easier for us with our summer schedules. We're both landscapers so we don't have a lot of free time in the summer months. Right now I'm in between jobs so I have lots of time on my hands, so I'm trying to catch up with my aquarium knowledge and use this time to practice a routine schedule. God knows both the tanks and I need it lol
Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #8 
ktbrew

My brother has a landscaping company so I understand how busy it can be. We basically know we won't see him once spring hits throughout late autumn.
If you just make it a habit to feed them when you wake up and right before you go to bed, then they've all been fed twice a day and you can become familiar with how much they need. Maybe you take mornings and your girlfriend takes evenings and if one of you misses your turn then you owe the other one a 10min back rub. Make it fun!
As for your betta, getting him to flare can be good, a lot of males poo when they flare. It's a good idea to not tire him out too much, like you said. So he can use his energy to get better! I feed all of my fish 3 pellets in the morning and 3 at night. I make sure to get the ones with the highest protein content. Every other day they get bloodworms as a treat. Only one doesn't like the bloodworms. If you have a petco look in their frozen food section, if they have frozen daphina, that also helps with digestion issues. Just make sure to give him a very small amount. If any goes to the bottom get a turkey baster and suck it up and you're good to go!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #9 
Ederan

awesome! thanks for the tips!! I've never thought of a turkey baster...since all our tanks are community tanks, we just make sure to stock them with a few bottom feeders and use a sandy substrate to help keep the bottoms "cleaner". But alas, we have been over feeding them (for pretty much the two years we've been in the hobby), so it does accumulate and our 55g has always had a bit of an algae problem. Part of that too was we inherited the tank from my friends grandfather, and the water chemistry was just down right terrible!! It took us about 8 months to bring it to a normal "clean" state, as we wanted to keep the fish that came with it, so it had to be done gradually, but without ever completely shutting it down, its hard to get rid of the algae permanently.

wow went a bit off topic there lol any way, we don't have a petco any where in our city (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) and all our aquarium supply stores are about an hour away or more. We're not actually in the city, but about 45mins outside of it in the country) It's usually a full day of shopping just for aquarium supplies/fish/plants when we do get around to shopping. Depending on what we need we have about 3-4 stores we can expect to get reliable products or advice. Due to credit reasons, I personally can't order online currently. I'm just waiting for things to clear up now, but I expect to be ordering the harder to find supplies like Indian Almond Leaves and what ever else I can't get at the stores, including tanks etc within the year.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #10 
ktbrew

I don't have any IAl either. Just keep up with the epsom salt mixture and make sure to change water regularly. How is he doing?