Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #1 
SageMyster

Career in Bettas?

I was wondering, do some people have a career in breeding Bettas? How much revenue does it generally attract? Can you live off it?

Are there Betta jobs or specialties you can get somewhere? Any info would be much appreciated! I'm at that point in my life where I don't know what I want to do and aquatics (particularly my favorite little fishies!) interests me.
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I doubt that there is much of a chance of making a decent living off of breeding bettas.

There is so much competition from overseas and local wholesalers who are able to mass produce high numbers of quality (and sometimes not so quality) fish that it would be next to impossible to do anything but break even on costs.

The best thing to do is to make it so that your hobby pays for itself. Unless you want to become a wholesaler/transhipper/retailer of bettas and/or other fish, you are going to be working your fingers to the bones for very little financial return.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #3 
tpocicat

I don't believe bettas should or can be bred for profit. That being said, if you want to spawn your bettas with a goal in mind, then go ahead. Just don't expect to make a profit.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #4 
EvilVOG

With my spawn i made a nice healthy profit, but it wasn't nearly enough to live off of. however, outside of Asia i don't think it would even be possible to turn enough numbers to make a living off of it.

Over there the rainwater is good enough so they don't pay water bills, the temperature is high enough they don't need to electrically heat their water, or be indoors. And the cost of living is much less. And they still have to move thousands of fish to turn a profit.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #5 
PinkGuava

I've met some people who opened their own betta shops. That's one way other than breeding.
PinkGuava is offline   Reply With Quote