Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

fluval chi 5 gal?

This ones more in my price range...anyone have one of theses? Experiences? pics? filter? lighting for live plants? Thank you :D
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
This ones more in my price range...anyone have one of theses? Experiences? pics? filter? lighting for live plants? Thank you :D
baffling the shower rays with a sponge a little and it runs smooth, doesn't make noise and it's really nice since it helps oxygenate the water. Light should depend on the plant you get. Java moss needs low light and is hardy :)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #3 
Butterfly

love mine so far. It's noisy starting out because it has to filter over the sides. It will quiet down once it goes over.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 
Phaydra

I've looked at those tanks a few time but always stop short of buying one because they don't have covers. If you know your fish isn't a jumper I could see them working fine though. My boys are jumpers so no lidless tanks for me.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #5 
Butterfly

they do have covers sold separately for $5 on amazon. I bought one.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #6 
Phaydra

Ahhh I learned something new. hehe now I get to kick myself cause Petco has them on sell today but I bought another one for the lid issue. I wonder if I can convince the hubby we need one more tank even though I just bought one.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #7 
Jessie1990

I'm probably putting mine in the closet soon. Yes, it is pretty but I have had nothing but problems with this tank. My light switch went out for 2 months and the filter has not cycled after having the tank for a year. I believe it might be because the filter inserts don't provide enough surface area for bb. Not really sure. I am probably going to set up another 10 gallon.
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #8 
Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
Ahhh I learned something new. hehe now I get to kick myself cause Petco has them on sell today but I bought another one for the lid issue. I wonder if I can convince the hubby we need one more tank even though I just bought one.
btw at my local petco they were selling for $80+ but on amazon, only $51+ FREE SHIPPING :D, so of course I got it from amazon. But petco matches prices so yay.

i really hope mine doens't have issues cycling. The ammonia level today is 2! happydance. I have a shrimp in there and it's finally starting to make the ammonia levels go up.

was your chi loud to start off with(before the water went over the sides)? Mine's been going for about three days and it's still not up yet :(
Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #9 
Jessie1990

Mine makes a little noise each time I start it up, but I have to jump start it with a turkey baster to get the water to come through. You might try that.
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #10 
TheMCP

I have one that is my community tank. It's fine. It cycled normally, the fish in it seem fine. The filter seems to get a bunch of gunk from my fish food flakes in it (I can tell because the flakes I use are bright orange), so I take it off once a month and rinse it when I change the filter pad.

I just bought another one, as they were on sale for $42 at Petco on friday. I'm putting my favorite betta in it. I had some concern about whether he'd be able to handle the surface turbulence caused by the fountain, but I watched my community tank a lot and I think I was overly concerned. I'll watch my betta for a while when he goes into his new tank to make sure he's okay, but I think it's going to be all right.

And it is a really attractive tank.
TheMCP is offline   Reply With Quote