Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #1 
Aside

Is this a suitable home?

I'm currently abroad but when I return (in about a month) I plan on getting a new betta. I'm super excited. Anyway, before I left my friend gifted me with a tank she had. I'm not sure if it is a suitable home for a betta and would like some opinions. I will be starting my first semester at college in January and I have no idea what my dorm is going to look like though obviously it will be small. I like that this tank has a small footprint because it won't take up much room on my desk/dresser/wherever I put it. However I know larger footprints are better for bettas.

I'm pretty sure this is the tank she gave me
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I have the hood/light but not the filter. Is it worth a filter in a tank this size? I feel like it would do more harm than good. I was thinking about some live plants to help keep the water clean. Any suggestions for a beginner/small tank?
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #2 
gemsbok

It looks fine to me. If you don't end up getting a filter you'll have to do more water changes since your tank won't go through the nitrogen cycle without one. Most people leave out the filter in tanks this size, as it just takes up room and (depending on the filter) may create a current in the water that betta fish find unpleasant.
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is there a heater?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #4 
Aside

I don't have a heater yet but I will get one either when or before I get my fish.

it may actually be this tank. I'm not sure.
http://www.petco.com/product/113933/...-Aquarium.aspx

I'm glad to hear you think it will be okay.

Is it worth getting a filter? I'd love to be able to cycle the tank but I didn't think the tank would really be large enough to support a stable cycle and if not I didn't think it would be worth any added stress (or noise for any potential roommates) but if I could support a cycle than I would get a filter. Also, my fish is going to need to be traveling back and forth a couple times a year which would also cause problems for a cycle I think? I've never cycled a tank before.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A sponge filter would be great.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #6 
Phaydra

I buy Corner Overflow Prefilter Sponges but I get a great deal from my LFS. Lee's Undergravel Lift Tubes, a bit of air line, an air stone, an air pump, and some marbles or rocks for weight. Sponge filters perfect for 5g and below tanks. Most of the premade sponge filters I found where just too big for a small tank. The sponge does not have to be the same but make sure it's fine sponge and not one that is course with large holes. I like the Corner Prefilter because it already has a hole cut half way through it. I know you can make one cheaper and have it fit better in a smaller aquarium.

Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Be warned Betta hamocks rust.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #8 
Syriiven

You can make betta hammocks out of plastic mesh and file down any sharp edges though.

But to the OP -- I think the 2g should be okay so long as you keep up with water changes. There may be alternate filter options like the others suggest, but a few live plants will help plenty.

I'm new to the live plant idea, but I've been thinking of getting anacharis as it's easy and can float or be set in the gravel. People have recommended java moss too.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #9 
Aside

when I get home I'll take a better look at the tank to see how much room I have for a filter. I don't want to take up the whole footprint of the tank. Also isn't my cycle just going to crash over breaks when I either have to transport my whole tank home or leave the tank and just bring my fish back? It's not a short trip between school and home.

I think I would pick up a cheap fishbowl or use a storage container or something for breaks and just bring my fish back and forth (with necessities like food and his heater)

I don't know what kind of plants my local petco stocks. am I better trying to get some off aquabid or will whatever they have be fine?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would do 2 100 and one 50.