Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #111 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Never mind female she is has the egg layer.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #112 
Syriiven

She is swimming more confidently, that's for sure. But I'm still wondering that maybe with her deformity I should start looking into a shallower but bigger tank. Like only 3-4 inches high, but can hold 2-3 gallons. That way she has lots of water but doesnt have to tucker herself out too much zipping around like she does.

At the same time though, I do want her to try and stop relying on the bottom.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #113 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Never mind female she is has the egg layer.
Someone else mentioned an egg spot. How do you know? I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #114 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdielikestomatoes View Post
She's looking good despite you only having her for a few days. She's gotten so much darker and those irids have just popped! I can't wait to see what she looks like after a few weeks of good care.

I also love the name you picked out. Though Walker would be good if she was a he, in an ironic sort of way. :D

Chocolate, did you not notice the eggspots in a couple of pictures that were first posted? Or am I just going crazy?
I keep trying to see what you guys are seeing.

I thought Walker was a wierd name, but after seeing her do tail stands before going for the surface...kind of makes sense.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #115 
birdielikestomatoes

I'm not going crazy, woot! The egg spot is a white dot on the fish's belly, usually near or underneath the ventricles.

I'm glad to hear that she's swimming better now.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #116 
AyalaCookiejar

AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #117 
Syriiven

Hmmm, I'll wait till I move her back to the 3g and see if I can spot it for myself. Just to know what it looks like on her. I'm a little skeptical of the pics cuze of everything being reflective.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #118 
Syriiven

Wow, that is tiny. So does that have anything to do with the eggs she could produce, or does it just mark her as female?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #119 
AyalaCookiejar

"The spot is none other than the ovipositor tube, which the female drops during spawning, and out of which the eggs will come out (or so you hope :) ). Sometimes young males have an egg spot (just to confuse us further :P ), but usually they don’t, especially when mature."

Quoted from here.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #120 
Laki

@syriiven- No assassin snails are in their own little heated tank. I once kept them in with the bettas but they have these sensitive nose things which they leave out like a flag to detect food scents in the water and the bettas would nip them. Not only that but my bettas ate their food. They were impossible to feed bloodworms to and I had a real problem getting the assassins to eat pond snails if bloodworms/betta pellets were in the water bc they prefer to eat that. So the assassins are on their own. I only recommend getting them for a tank absolutely infested with pond/ramshorns.
My nerite, however, is in my betta tank. She eats algae but is slow to actually clean it all up in a 5g. She is really good at switching sides in my divided tank and one day she will be visiting Bowser, the next she's back visiting Ludendorff. Neritrs have the best defense against a betta because their eyes barely come out from under ther shell so they're just a shell. And they move really slow!! So slow bettas barely notice them at all.
Nerites also have very low bioload and cannot reproduce in freshwater. If you get eggs they won't hatch in fresh water.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finrot deformed