Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #121 
Syriiven

Wow, okay. It just looks so small!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #122 
birdielikestomatoes

I quickly added an arrow to show you the egg spot but Ayala beat me to it! You guys are speedy posters. :P

I'll probably be beaten here as well but the egg spot is where eggs are released during a spawn. And because it's there is also identifies the betta as a female to humans.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #123 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
@syriiven- No assassin snails are in their own little heated tank. I once kept them in with the bettas but they have these sensitive nose things which they leave out like a flag to detect food scents in the water and the bettas would nip them. Not only that but my bettas ate their food. They were impossible to feed bloodworms to and I had a real problem getting the assassins to eat pond snails if bloodworms/betta pellets were in the water bc they prefer to eat that. So the assassins are on their own. I only recommend getting them for a tank absolutely infested with pond/ramshorns.
My nerite, however, is in my betta tank. She eats algae but is slow to actually clean it all up in a 5g. She is really good at switching sides in my divided tank and one day she will be visiting Bowser, the next she's back visiting Ludendorff. Neritrs have the best defense against a betta because their eyes barely come out from under ther shell so they're just a shell. And they move really slow!! So slow bettas barely notice them at all.
Nerites also have very low bioload and cannot reproduce in freshwater. If you get eggs they won't hatch in fresh water.
Okie, just curious =) I really hope one of my lfs' in the city has nerites. Really, really hoping.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #124 
Syriiven

Oooo, thanks Birdie! I honestly thought that might be a white rock in the background that she was covering most of xD
Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #125 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdielikestomatoes View Post
I quickly added an arrow to show you the egg spot but Ayala beat me to it! You guys are speedy posters. :P

I'll probably be beaten here as well but the egg spot is where eggs are released during a spawn. And because it's there is also identifies the betta as a female to humans.
I just stole a picture off of google to show her where it would be at :p

And in the last picture, I was also wondering if the white spot might've been a reflection of some sort. It also doesn't help that most of your pictures of her are from above :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #126 
Syriiven

I can't help that till she swims more than two inches high xD
Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #127 
AyalaCookiejar

I know it's not your fault :p As long as you know where to look, it may be easier to see in in person than in a picture, anyways.

And I know nothing about breeding fish or fish babies, but maybe it's a little bit like human babies? The egg spot is small, but maybe it like dilates or something before they hatch? The baby is usually larger then where they come out. I'm totally not trying to be graphic, haha!

But I would probably ask someone who knows something about spawning and releasing eggs because I sure don't know. Just a possibility, I guess.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #128 
birdielikestomatoes

The eggs tend to be small when they're released. I can try to find a video of a female releasing eggs if you'd like?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #129 
Syriiven

That's okay....lol. There are some things I dont need to know about fish. I wouldn't try breeding anyways. Finding compatible betta seems really hard, and then what would I do with the fry? I don't have the budget for more tanks, and I dont know anyone who would take good care of them.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #130 
birdielikestomatoes

Well...alright. xD

I found one though, the female looks absolutely dead for a few seconds after releasing the eggs. It's really weird. Nor is it anything like mammal birthing. No blood or amniotic fluids, or other stuff.

Tags
finrot deformed