Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #31 
birdielikestomatoes

I believe, my dear, that your rescued betta is a female as in a couple of the photos you posted showed an egg spot, as well as the fact that her form is very feminine.

Aside from that I believe the way you're treating her currently seems to be good. Some users have posted so good advice so I'll abstain from that as I don't want to sound repetitive.

Good luck!
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #32 
Syriiven

:) I don't really know how to tell females from, what are they? Plakat males? So many kinds and I can't seem to find an online betta encyclopedia...

Most everyone here thinks he's a she, so I'm willing to go with that. I should prlly look up some stuff about females then, maybe?

She's very pretty when she's not striped, very striking colors and the iridescence is so nice!

Anyways, I did her 100% water change with aq salt for the night. I'll leave her alone and let her warm up in this room with the heater.

Tomorrow she'll be fasted but changed to epsom salt.

Goodnight all, and thanks to everyone with their awsm advice =)
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #33 
Phaydra

In a situation like this if you had the items to set up a drip system you could change water without stressing the fish. You would need two larger containers, two pipes (air line would work in this case), some way to control the water flow (ball valve or something adjustable to pinch the lines) a heater for the first container, and a little time to get everything set up.

You would set contain 1 (new water) above the tank and container 2 (old water) below the tank. The heater in container 1 to keep the incoming water at the correct temperature. Start a siphon from from container 1 to the tank and adjust the flow to about 10 drips a minute. Then run line two from the tank to container 2 and adjust to 10 drips a minute. Basically you are just setting up an adjustable siphon system to keep clean water coming in and dirty water going out. The number of drips should be adjusted to volume of water so you may need to play with that number. It would take a bit of extra materials and patients. Of course you need containers big enough to last the hours you sleep and would be absent for work. It's just a suggestion but one I have used before for my ever so sensitive Neon Tetras.

Last edited by Phaydra; 11-24-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #34 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I hope she recovers.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #35 
Syriiven

Phaydra - thanks for the suggestion but not quite doable with what I have ^^; Just been trying to be as gentle with her as I can. I'll have to remember your idea in the future for other possibly sick fish.

Chocoalte - Thank you, she's still okay ^^ And hopefully today better after the epsom salts arrive.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #36 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I know she will love her new home.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #37 
Syriiven

:) I'm happy to report she seems even better today. Seems to do a tail stand in the deep part then makes a rush for the surface sometimes, but she's rolling to the side less as she wiggles and swims about. Just did a 50% change, because later after I get the epsom salt she'll have a 100% change. Hopefully by tomorrow night I can raise the water level to atleast a gallon, but I'l add just a little bit more every hour or so, sort of help her train for the longer swim.

I really hope so, Chocolate! Already have the silk plants and a tiki man cave picked out and waiting for her.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I hope you get to keep her.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #39 
Syriiven

I really do too...I mean I like my friend, and she's all about pandas, but she's been terribly neglectful. I think after I explain how bad her betta was getting, she may decide to let me keep it since I'm willing to actually take care of it. I still plan to get a halfmoon male in a few weeks for my 10g split with Phy, but I think if this female can manage the depth, her 3g will be nice for her. And I'm kind of already super attached, just had a nap on the floor watching her swim.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #40 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Aww. Is there anything really cute or funny she does?

Tags
finrot deformed