Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #51 
Syriiven

Looking forward to that. And I think I've solved her water-swimming problem temporarilly. I have a long tubberware container that's shallow and will hold a gallon of water. Thinking of using the glass stones (just in case she has trouble) but doing her epsom salt bath in there. Far less interesting for her, I know, but it'll be easier for her.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #52 
Syriiven

omg, it's looking like none of the stores in town have plain freaking epsom salt. What kind of pharmacy carries only scented epsom salt??

Last edited by Reefing Madness; 11-24-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #53 
AyalaCookiejar

Apparently the one you have in your town?

It sounds like she is doing better, even if you can't get Epsom salt right now, she's in better care than she was. As long as she keeps improving, I wouldn't worry too much about not having it or knowing what kind of betta she is. As long as you're doing as much as you can, you can't be too hard on yourself, even though it is difficult not to worry. I think we all understand what that's like. Stick with the aquarium salt if that's all you have available right now, until you can find other alternatives.

I'm afraid the advice anyone here can give you can only go as far as what you have available for now. :( But with the very best care and lots of prayers, I bet she'll be okay. I'm sure were all praying for her right now, and any improvement is fantastic!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #54 
Syriiven

We found some salt, and she pooped! =D First time I've been excited about poop, but yea...^^; I moved her to a larger tubberware bin that can hold a gallon of water and put her in there with epsom salt and have it closer to a heater on low...hoping to keep her atleast warmer than room temp.

I think she's doing even better than this morning (she's so friendly, I'm already soo attached to her!). I've heard her jumping in the tupperware, but I have mesh over the top anda shirt over hte mesh so it's not so bright and bare. And added a clean coffee mug so she has a hidey place.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #55 
AyalaCookiejar

That's fantastic! I'm very glad she's doing better, and that you were able to find some Epsom salt.
By the way, you might've already seen this thread, but the betta she rescued was missing much of his fins, and they seemed to almost completely grow back after having him for only 13 days, and now he is almost glowing.

It's very sad that they even get to a condition so bad, but this right here is proof that it is possible with a lot of TLC, which I know you have. (Also, it shocked me that they can show so much improvement in only 13 days!)

Anyways, there's quite a bit of inspiration and ambition you have going for you!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #56 
Syriiven

I really appreciate your encouragement. She still has stress stripes from being moved from to the new container, but i hope she'll calm over night. Phy's started biting his tail again tho >.< He'll be the betta that gives me grey hairs.

I just wonder how well she'll swim if her deformed spine doesnt fix. I think the deformity might be permanent, according to my friend's mother today, it's been deformed and missing fin since the cup. Kind of irked cuz apparently my friend picked her out because she looked so miserable, but then didn't care for her right at all.......really irks me.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #57 
AyalaCookiejar

I think some people have good intentions and are just very misinformed. It bothers me slightly when people get attacked on here for having a small, cold tank or not changing the water enough, because most of them are generally here to get more information on how to make their betta's life better.

And as for her spine, I think you need to worry about her fins healing first. She may not have much trouble swimming with her deformed spine if her fins fully grow back. If it is permanent, she may or may not learn to live with it, sort of like a cat or dog can learn to live with three (and sometimes even two) limbs. Not saying a cat or dog is anything like a fish, but they all have that survival instinct and usually figure out their own ways around it. Have you thought about a betta hammock of some sort? If she starts swimming good enough that you can put her back in deeper water, you could always have one just in case she still needs resting spots near the surface. There's always a chance that she could tire out quicker having to live with a deformed spine, but I don't think it will necessarily lower her quality of life in her eyes, as long as she has room, and warm, clean water.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #58 
Syriiven

I dont approve of people being attacked either. I was a serious noobie once too. But my friend...I just don't get her. She's vegeterian, loves pandas, adopts a poor fish so she has a better life (atleast a bigger tank) and then neglects her...

Anyways...okay. After the swimming is better I'll try her in her tank with a full gallon and see how she handles getting to the surface. I have a betta hammock made, just need a suction cup >.< And I'll have a lot of silk plants so she'll have leaves and other things to rest on.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #59 
Kithy

Pooping is the bestest thing that could happen!! I can't wait to see her after you've gotten her all better :3

Some people think that taking on a fish isn't so bad, that it'll be super easy to deal with. But fish are never easy, are they? I thought one goldie would be cake. Wrong. So they get overwhelmed but no reason to neglect it :<

We're all here to make better lives for our fishies :3 Everyone here just sees the fish's welfare before anyone's feelings.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #60 
Syriiven

I tend to be like that with a lot of things non-human...I get upset over butterflies, trees, whales, sharks, rays, tuna even sea cucumbers...

I wil definitely have pics. She's brightening, no longer a dull brown. She did have vertical stripes for a little while this afternoon, but she's still striping horizontal right now >.<

But I'm sure she'll calm.

But she's super friendly! Comes right over and just sits there and looks at you =)

Tags
finrot deformed