Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Gonna buy a halfmoon...

So in a few weeks I go to get live plants, meds for the future, snails, a bunch of goodies and another betta to bring home.

I'm hoping to find a halfmoon, and was wondering if I should know anything specific about halfmoon behavior. My VT, Phy, is agressive and a tail-biter, and will be in the same 10g as the new betta will be, but divided by a mesh divider and of course plants so that if they see eachother fights won't be constant.

Do halfmoons tend to bite too? Phy surfs filter currents, but I've noticed from pics halfmoons have more fin, so my first guess would be they'd be more annoyed by water flow...
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #2 
gemsbok

All tail types display pretty much the same kinds of behaviour as far as I'm aware. Every fish in an individual, though. You are right that the current might be more of a problem for your halfmoon. Perhaps you could just put him on the opposite side of the tank from the filter?
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #3 
Syriiven

Been thinking about it. The plastic mesh I have for the divider should allow enough water through that each side gets equally clean and heated, right? Plus I'll have plants and a snail on both side...so that should work out =)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Keep in mind that snails cause more of a bioload than they remove. While they might clean some things, the leave just as much in their wake.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #5 
Syriiven

Mhm, I only want two nerites, one for each side. Phy's agressive and I don't want him harrassing a mystery snail. I"ll be keeping a close eye on things.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #6 
RaptorX8

It all depends on the fish and how much flow there is. I have a halfmoon and he absolutely loves the filter flow. He'll swim by it with no problem, but then he'll stop right under it so it pushes him down and he swims around and does the same thing again and again like he's having a ball. E-ticket ride, I guess.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 
Syriiven

Phy does that. Will even let the filter push his food to him. I had a crown tail that surfed around the tank cuz of the flow too.

Tags
halfmoon water flow