Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #1 
hynesh9792

Question Stress Stripes?

Junior is still a baby and he has stress stripes still, ever since I got him. They don't get worse and they don't get better ( no matter what). He's in a 10 gallon tank alone, heavily planted, cycled tank. Water temp is between 80-82 (depending on if I have my window open or not). I feed him twice daily, pellets in morning and betta flakes at night. (2 pellets AM and a couple of tiny flakes). Levels are fine (0 ammonia, no nitrites or nitrates). I have a heater and filter and the plants are thriving. I do water changes once a week (about 30%)

He has no tankmates. He seems fine and happy and hyper most times (except when I wake him up lol)

Is it b/c he's a baby? or is he stressed?

***He WAS in a 2.5 gallon that always was at least .25 ammonia no matter WHAT I did so I know that probably stressed him out but why is he STILL stressed ? (Or IS he?)
hynesh9792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

It is hard to know why your boy is showing stress stripes, maybe he is just taking some time to settle in to his new tank? As long as he is otherwise well I wouldn't be too worried, just give him some time and keep an eye on him. I bought a betta once and he showed stress stripes for quite a while but in the end he coloured up. Let me know how he goes
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Stripes and color changes don't always mean stress...Stripes an color changes are used for communication and camouflage. Since is he otherwise acting okay, eating, responding to you. The stripes are most likely camouflage that young fish will normally have.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote