Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #31 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyB View Post
They did have some annubius nano's that look nice but I dont want it because it calls for fertilizer and I dont want anything to do with that....
Anubias is the easiest plant to care for. They don't need fertilizer. They don't need much light. They come in several sizes and leaf-lenghts, so they don't all look alike. You can fasten them to rocks and driftwood, or you can let them float as Betta beds and topcover/shade. It's the only plant I can easily keep alive.

I love 'em---and so do my fish.

Mossballs are nice, too.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #32 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i was talking about nano sized marimo mossballs for nano tanks. necklace jars etc.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #33 
ChristyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
i was talking about nano sized marimo mossballs for nano tanks. necklace jars etc.
Yeah I saw those too. Those look interesting.
ChristyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #34 
ChristyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Anubias is the easiest plant to care for. They don't need fertilizer. They don't need much light. They come in several sizes and leaf-lenghts, so they don't all look alike. You can fasten them to rocks and driftwood, or you can let them float as Betta beds and topcover/shade. It's the only plant I can easily keep alive.

I love 'em---and so do my fish.

Mossballs are nice, too.
Really?? When I looked it up all the sites I went to says they need CO2 and fertilizer. I would love to get a bubble item for his tank but I think its to small and I dont want to crowd it. But if they dont need fertilizer maybe I can anchor them to the gravel like his silk one is. It will look almost just like his silk one but real.

My biggest question that I have been trying to figure out is how do you clean your tank with live plants? The moss ball will be easy enough to take out and clean but if I have a planted anchored in I dont want to disturbed it.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #35 
sandybottom
Reference Team

make substrate higher in the back,the detritus will end up settling in the front where you can see it. the plants should break down the small amount that is stuck in them. i sometimes use a chopstick and swirl it around carefully to dislodge some of the detritus then vac it up in the front. i use sand, this makes it much easier than trying to vac gravel in a planted tank. anubias likes to grow in the shade of other plants as it is vulnerable to algae outbreaks if it receives too much light.if you are using for a low light set up they can be placed more out in the open. so the more light the more shade in your aquarium they need. they don't really need to be fertilized or need co2. but will still benefit from it, but don't expect explosive growth, as they will still grow very slowly. be careful using bubblers in planted tanks as it may gas off any co2 in the tank. if you must have one get a control valve for it and set it lower. many planted tank cleaning vids on you tube. or you could anchor your plants to rocks or get some aqua plant pots, that way most of your plants can be moveable.

Last edited by sandybottom; 12-02-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #36 
ChristyB

Yes the tank has no light on it. We just leave the room light on during the day. He hated the tank light so we got rid of it. And the pot sounds wonderful and I never thought to look on you tube for cleaning videos. Thank you.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #37 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I tie all my non-floating Anubias to rocks or beads so I can move them around when I'm vacuuming my bare-bottom tank. When planting Anubias in the substrate, don't cover the rhizome, just the roots. That's why I don't bother planting it at all.

Thanks for the lighting tip, Sandy. Even thought the algae is easy enough to clean off, it's still a nuisance. I'm going to cut back more on my lights.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #38 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the anubias i have always got algae until i moved it into the shade of my mopani wood.then it was fine.tough plant, works with goldfish and even cichlids. had an idea for potting my baby tears ... glass pot with layers of colored sand with some sort of heavier gravel cap for my kids tank. something colorful and hopefully not too tacky. depending on colors. it would probably look cool until the roots grow in. maybe a pot inside a larger pot with sand in between to keep it cleaner looking? or too cheesy?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #39 
ChristyB

So can I just use normal ceramic pots?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #40 
sandybottom
Reference Team

unglazed terra cotta. or i have made them out of flat stones glued together with silicone or you could also glue the stones to the pots for cammo. i've seen people use old pantyhose filled with sand.they trim the roots. i use small pots or hide them. for a little extra $$ there is some stylish terra cotta out there.