Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #1 
buddy391

Exclamation Super sick betta - help

I have a betta that is very sick and I don't know what to do anymore.

He has been constipated for about two weeks now. His belly looks like it has little marbles in it. I've fasted him and fed him small pieces of peas on and off for the past two weeks. While he has pooped a few times, his belly is still swollen. He's also having trouble keeping upright and ends up on his side most of the time.

Also, he has an inflammed gill that doesn't close, but stays open. The other closes fine. He doesn't seem to have trouble breathing, but the gill just won't close. I've been putting drops of Bettafix in his tank (2.5 gallon tank) for the past week and a half. I have changed his water and tried adding aquarium salt.

ANOTHER thing, he's getting fin rot. Pretty bad now that he's been sick for so long...

His tank is heated and I took out the filter so that it won't be pulling out the Bettafix medicine.

Help, please?
buddy391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am so sorry to hear your poor little guy is sick, would it be possible for you to post some photo's of him? that would really help to diagnose him. If you look at him from above are his scales sticking out at all, like a pinecone? Personally I have never used bettafix, but if he has fin rott pretty bad then maybe you could try methylene blue. It is a relatively cheap medication and I have used to to cure fin rott successfully in the past. Let me know about his scales and keep me posted on his condition, good luck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 
buddy391

Hi, thanks for replying. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow morning. The light in my room isn't strong enough for the pictures to come out clear. He doesn't have the "pinecone" thing going on, so I had figured it wasn't dropsy. Just his stomach his swollen.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #4 
logisticsguy

Peas should not be fed to betta jimo. More possible harm than good.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Maybe it's a tumor?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #6 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
I don't know how else to help execpt to say this: stop using the Bettafix, it will kill bettas by damaging their labyrinth organ. a thread said to never buy products with -fix at the end because it contains a type of leaf that will damage the betta's labyrinth organ.
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #7 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

That would be great if you can get some pics, it can make all the difference. It is excellent that there is no pine coning, no one wants dropsy!!! You said his belly looks like it has little marbles in it? that sounds really odd, I had a betta with this weird growth in his fin which looked like a bunch of grapes and it grew pretty fast, it was lymphositis (not sure on the spelling) a type of tumour, luckily I have a wonderful friend who is pretty much the equivalent of a fish vet and he cut it out for me and the betta was fine then. Anyhow once you get some pictures hopefully I will be able to help more. Good Luck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #8 
sunlight

Definitely stop using Bettafix Hey that is what everyone writes about it, and i mean every forum that i saw, and yahoo a lot of people have negative response aobut it:
Bettafix is a watered down formula of Melafix - which has an ingredient that has been known to harm the betta's labyrinth organ. Many believe it should never be used (both Bettafix and Melafix) on a fish that uses the labyrinth organ.. there have been many cases of bettas becoming ill or even passing when exposed to the medication.
I am leaning more towards improper use rather than the medication itself is deadly- as it's very easy to overdose on it as most people use smaller containers to house the ill betta in, and measurements can easily be wrong. It's a harsh medication, so one has to be very careful when using it.

Bettas are sensitive when it comes to medications.

How is he doing?. Bloated stomach can be due to the tumor or internal parasites. When is last time he pooped? How is his behavior. I would think if it would be internal parasites he would be probably already lethargic and stop eating if he is sick for 2 weeks.
Picture will help.
To rule out the internal parasites check his poop. With internal parasites his poop will be white,clear,stringy,wormy shape.
Also go to the pharmacy and buy unscented Epsom salt. It helps with bloating if he has internal parasites and it helps with constipation.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #9 
buddy391

Okay, I'll definitely change his water and stop using Bettafix.

When I feed him, he eats fine. But he's been very lethargic, just sitting on plants and hovering near the surface.

He pooped about 2 days ago, it was a long string of brown poop.

I have some Epsom salt, how would I use that? And will it irritate his inflammed gill?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #10 
sunlight

No actually Epsom salt will help a lot. It will help to clean his digestive system. For Epsom salt there is no time period as it is very gentle on the fish, they can be in it indefinitely. Epsom is best for internal problems such as SBD, popeye, bloating, constipation . Also if you can get frozen daphnia really helpful with constipation and has a lot of protein. So definitely look for it. Some people found it at the pet stores. I think you even can order it on line.
How much you feed him?

Also you was using aquarium salt which can make bloating worse. So be careful. Epsom salt also has bacterial affect and will help with fin rot if he has it. Don't worry epsom salt will not irritate but help his enflamed gill.
You need to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved. So pre mix 2tsp/gall. Put him in the hospital tank or if you don't have it lower the water in his tank. It will be easier for you to do water changes and easier for him to breath, since he is bloated and it probably more difficult for him to swim. Do daily 100% water changes. You need to make sure with 100% water changes that you not shock him with sudden temp change. So make sure temp approximately the same as his and take time to acclimate him. Just keep adding new water to his changing cup for a like 3-4 tinmes and let him sit in the new water in between for about 4 minutes each time. This way he will get used to it. If you have access to stress coat API or Kardon Fish protection i would also recommend it along with water conditioner that you are using.
Please keep us updated. I hope he will get better. Like i wrote epsom salt can be used indefinitely. Try and see how he doing with it . Some bettas prone to have constipation's and then people can use epsom salt all the time but don't have to do 100% daily water changes though.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
constipated, finrot fin rot, help betta fish, sick