Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 
fish monger

Betta's Fins Look Shredded

Last night, my standard blue VT betta looked healthy and happy in his 2.5 gallon tank. I've had him for two months and he has done very well. I did the normal weekly 50% water change yesterday. The only thing I did differently was to add an appropriate amount of Flourish Comprehensive to feed the pennywort and horn wart in his tank. I came home from work today and it looks as if he has been in a fight with another male. His fin are absolutely shredded. Anybody had this experience ? The only other tank mates are a few rams horn snails. I'm doing a water change as I write this.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #2 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
Last night, my standard blue VT betta looked healthy and happy in his 2.5 gallon tank. I've had him for two months and he has done very well. I did the normal weekly 50% water change yesterday. The only thing I did differently was to add an appropriate amount of Flourish Comprehensive to feed the pennywort and horn wart in his tank. I came home from work today and it looks as if he has been in a fight with another male. His fin are absolutely shredded. Anybody had this experience ? The only other tank mates are a few rams horn snails. I'm doing a water change as I write this.
When you say "absolutely shredded" how bad is it really? He might have been nipping on it's own fins or swimming aggressively and getting his fins ripped on plants and such. If he looks like he was in a fight I doubt that it is any sort of disease.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #3 
fish monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
When you say "absolutely shredded" how bad is it really? He might have been nipping on it's own fins or swimming aggressively and getting his fins ripped on plants and such. If he looks like he was in a fight I doubt that it is any sort of disease.
Well, his fins were smooth on the edges last night. Today, it looks as if at least 1/4 of an inch has been torn away from the "spines" of his fins. I've just recently heard of them nipping at their own fins. What causes that ?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #4 
soady

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
Well, his fins were smooth on the edges last night. Today, it looks as if at least 1/4 of an inch has been torn away from the "spines" of his fins. I've just recently heard of them nipping at their own fins. What causes that ?
This would happen if your betta has extremely long fins.

You can check out this great advice:
http://nippyfish.net/2006/10/25/tail-biting-bettas/

What I want to emphasize here is that you need to make sure that he is actually biting biting his own tail. Observe him for a while. It could easily be that he is getting his fins ripped on aquarium decorations. Do read the advice on the link I gave you, I think it's great. Good luck! :)
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #5 
fish monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
This would happen if your betta has extremely long fins.

You can check out this great advice:
Tail Biting Bettas | Betta Fish Care

What I want to emphasize here is that you need to make sure that he is actually biting biting his own tail. Observe him for a while. It could easily be that he is getting his fins ripped on aquarium decorations. Do read the advice on the link I gave you, I think it's great. Good luck! :)
Thank you very much for the help.