Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #11 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He maybe faster now because he doesnt have the heavy fins to weight him down now so he is harder to catch. Is his tank heated ? Maybe he is clamped because the water he is in now is to cold. His water should be 76-82 I have mine at 79 right now.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #12 
LuckyBlue

He darts quite quickly when I try to cup him.... but otherwise he hangs out mostly at the top... When I come by and wave he wiggles like he did when I first got him.. although the wiggle isn't as graceful.. he still gets excited to see me.

I'm putting him back in the 6.6 gallon with about 3 gallons of water...by hisself.

I looked back... I did the salt treatment in October and started the oak leaves at the beginning of November...
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #13 
LuckyBlue

i don't know why that posted twice..

He's heated 82 degrees.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #14 
soady

I had the exact same problem with clamped fins and this is how my betta looked (picture below taken by me when I first saw it like that)

First of all, a larger tank is not the solution. My betta lives in a 1 gallon fish bowl and he is happy, active and healthy. My problem occurred when I left the windows open for too long and the room cooled too much along with the water... I treated my betta by doing 50% water change every day and 100% water change every third day. I bought Dajana Aloe Gel which helps with relaxation and injuries. I also put a pinch of kitchen salt whenever I did a water change (yes, kitchen salt, not aquarium salt, some people say that it is bad because of the Iodine but an amount that small is really ok and good if you can not acquire AQ salt as it helps with fin regeneration). The treatment lasted for 10 days and on the 10th day he looked brand new and he was swimming, flaring at a mirror, eating well and generally very happy. Make sure to pick up any leftover food and keep his water clean and warm enough. This isn't fatal, I believe he just got a cold. Try feeding him live food which can be bought at a pet store or caught in your own room (small spiders, mosquitoes, etc.). Every betta is different so I can not guarantee that the treatment I did will work for you too. Also, from what I've seen on your video, you should really create a more joyful surrounding by putting some colorful rocks or marbles and a fake plant. I wish you and your betta all the best!

Last edited by soady; 11-26-2012 at 03:52 PM.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #15 
LuckyBlue

Thanks... your picture didn't come thru... could you send it again? I'd like to see it.

The video was taken in his changing cup.... believe me he is spoilt with ships and plants and such and his whole bottom of his tank is actually marbles

I was starting to think maybe I should get some medicine for fin rot... maybe that's the problem.. he really hasn't much fins. my poor LuckyBlue

Anyone have suggestions for fin rot medicine?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #16 
DoctorWhoLuver

If he had fin rot he would have black edges on his fins. Bettas may have clamped fins for many reasons and it can be hard to pinpoint the exact cause. Some of these causes can be life threatening. I wouldn't give him any medication until you are absolutely sure that he has fin rot since medications can be stressful. Even if you are using AQ salt which cannot be used for more than 10 days.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #17 
LuckyBlue

I'm so frustrated.... I've been trying conservative treatments for over 2months and his fins are still awful... He has such a cute personality... but he can't really swim smoothly..he likes a spot on his ship where he kind of wedges himself... until I come see him.

I just feel like I need to try something else...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #18 
DoctorWhoLuver

Aww :( Have you been using AQ salt? If so for how long? I know how you feel, I've had a girl that refused to unclamp for a few weeks/months too. I didn't know what was wrong with her, but she did unclamp in time. He should be fine if he doesn't have any other symptoms.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #19 
LuckyBlue

yes aq salt for 10 days in Oct. then oak leaves ever since. Yes, he's breaking my heart.....

In addition, he was actually my granddaughter's, but she bought it with hmmm..me, and her parents said uh NO! So, whenever she comes over she wants to see her LuckyBlue... she named him before we left the store...

He isn't sick otherwise... although I don't think he enjoys swimming much.. so he usually sits in one or two different spots unless I come up.

He was so beautiful..... Did you look at the beginning at his picture?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #20 
DoctorWhoLuver

Yes, I did... I don't know what would have brought such a drastic change other than him jumping into LittleBlue's tank. Perhaps it was traumatizing?