Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 
peas

Please help...

I'm a little uncomfortable linking y'all to my blog on tumblr but please please please help me figure out what's wrong with Hachi and how to treat him.

http://lens-booty-shorts.tumblr.com/...rown-tail-what

I've never been in tears over not know what's wrong with my creatures but I'm terrified of losing him...

I've already screwed up by adding AQ salt in with him in the tank but ugh... I'm scared. he seems fine emotionally and this has just happened within the last 12 hours. he was fine this morning and his fins did not look like this when I woke him up. I'm so sorry if this is in the wrong section but my main focus is helping him, not figuring out where this goes. if it's wrong just move it please.

and excuse my blog posts language.
peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

Do you have a filter? It looks like it got caught and shredded onto something.
Any rough plants that could also shred a betta's tails?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

First there's nothing to get so upset over, tattered fins are not going to kill him. You say everything else is fine; he's acting normal & eating? More info is needed; what size tank, heated, filtered, water change schedule, how much water is changed, tank mates? Clean water will heal him up at least its always worked with my Bettas. I keep my normal weekly 50% water changes & the fins repair themselves.

Last edited by shellieca; 11-24-2012 at 07:52 PM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #4 
peas

No filter, all plants are silk and I tested them against nylons and nothing ripped them. No tank mates. I just put him back in his tank yesterday morning with new water and everything.
2 gallon glass tank (i call it a glass cookie jar), 100% changes weekly (every Saturday evening or Sunday morning), heated to a normal 81-84.
like I said the water is brand new.

He ate just fine when I fed him about an hour ago (also about when I found him like this). He flared up just fine when I showed him his reflection.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89

I think 84 is a bit too high. 77-80 is perfect temp.
Do you have an actual aquarium heater?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 
peas

Yep, a hydor 15w. I keep a towel wrapped around the bottom of Hachi's jar to keep it moderate and at night it shoots up to 84...
Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #7 
FishyFishy89

You shouldnt be having to wrap the tank. I use a Hydro and my tank stays the same.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Has he been flaring a lot? Sometimes excessive flaring can cause the fins and tail to tear. Also I agree, 84 is too warm, I don't think there's any need to wrap his tank your heater isn't very effective and the temp is dropping below 76 at night. If that's the case, maybe it's time for a new heater.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #9 
peas

Well, I'm told heat escapes glass pretty quickly and I was also told by a few people to keep a towel on sight just in case it drops below what I usually keep it at.. I'll try and get it lowered to 76-80.

I also noticed his behaviour changed drastically since I left him be for a while. I left for a couple hours and came back and he was dramatically swimming around and beating against the walls of his jar so I moved him to his travel/emergency tank (.75 plastic carrier from petco) with fresh water and little AQ salt (about a pinch) (80).
Since he's been in that he's been more calmer and relaxed it seems. Should I keep him in there and get the old water tested tomorrow? wasn't able to dispose of it tonight since everyone's asleep.

EDIT

He's been flaring a lot this last week but none today which is about when this started. He flared once and that was for me to make sure he was at least active enough to move around and so I could see the damage. I'm told they can do blow outs on their fins if they do it a lot...? I haven't had an issue with this before because he actually sits right in front of a mirror.

I'm trying to not make this difficult orz

Last edited by peas; 11-25-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: forgot a reply and didn't want to double post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #10 
DoctorWhoLuver

Some user mentioned his dorsal fin.. His dorsal fin does look like it has fin melt, a more advanced and aggressive version of fin rot.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick