Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #1 
Bsalem05

Did I buy a sick fish!? *Pic Heavy*

OK.. so I got him on Friday from a well known fish store (allfishemporium) He was an impulse buy and maybe I did not look at him as carefully as I should.. (there where many bettas on display and I got sidetracked) I usually go with my first gut instinct when picking things and he did stand out to me.. well Yesterday night(still Friday) I noticed this sort of Gold dusty coloring on him and first thing that came to mind was Velvet.. (mini panic attack!) as it was very late in the night and I had to go to work in the morning I couldn't do much.. well this morning he looked the same and tonight while changing water I took the chance to take close up pics with flashlight and without..

Hes been in a 3gl critter keeper at around 78 or so.. with AQ salt 1tsp per gl as directed.

So I would like some opinions and is it velvet?

Name:  v1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  35.7 KB
Name:  v2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  37.6 KB
Name:  v3.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  49.4 KB
Name:  v4.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  26.6 KB
Name:  v5.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  33.5 KB

Last one freaked me out.. are those holes?????
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #2 
ktbrew

hmm...it looks like it possibly could be...how is his behavior?
ktbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #3 
Bsalem05

He spends a lot of time at the bottom of tank but will dart around once in a while or swim around a bit when I was watching.. He does eat and fins havent looked clamped...
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #4 
ktbrew

It's said that fish with velvet will start behaving oddly. I don't know if it means darting or not. Also sometimes they may look like they're trying to rub their body along things in the tank...like trying to deal with itchy sides or something. He's not with any other fish is he? Velvet is very contagious.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 
Bsalem05

Nope.. in critter keeper by himself at the moment.. have had him for 2 days only
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 
ktbrew

Oh that's right. I would make sure his water temp is 80-82 degrees. If you have to raise the temp to that do it slowly! Reduce the light and use Mardel's coppersafe or another one is Jungle's Velvet guard. Just make sure to follow the dosing directions very closely as the meds are strong. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 
deso

Those holes in his face may be normal. The first conclusion I jumped to was hexamita, but that disease rarely affects bettas and looks a lot more disgusting than clean little pinholes.

It's odd that he's still eating and isn't clamped, though. I'm really torn as to whether he's actually sick, because some of your photos of him look like natural iridescence and some look like velvet (not your fault at all, velvet is hard to spot), and I've never had a fish infected with it. Here are two very clear photos of bettas who most definitely have velvet for you to compare with:

Last edited by deso; 11-25-2012 at 01:58 PM.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #8 
Bsalem05

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
Those holes in his face may be normal. The first conclusion I jumped to was hexamita, but that disease rarely affects bettas and looks a lot more disgusting than clean little pinholes.

It's odd that he's still eating and isn't clamped, though. I'm really torn as to whether he's actually sick, because some of your photos of him look like natural iridescence and some look like velvet (not your fault at all, velvet is hard to spot), and I've never had a fish infected with it. Here are two very clear photos of bettas who most definitely have velvet for you to compare with:

That top pic is what got me thinking about it in the first place cuz his face looks red/raw almost looking like that but not fuzzy.

I've taken him back to the fish store to get an opinion and so happens they have an employee that breeds his own bettas and he said the fish is perfectly healthy.. lol I might have panicked prematurely.. but never to safe! so what I'm going to do is QT him with AQ treatment for another couple days to finish up a week and see what happens.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #9 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsalem05 View Post
That top pic is what got me thinking about it in the first place cuz his face looks red/raw almost looking like that but not fuzzy.
His face looking red/raw is just a colouration. A lot of bettas have it, I think it's called the "helmet" effect. Mine does - his head is matte-black and the rest of his body is shiny. Great to hear that you got a positive second opinion! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the little guy.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #10 
Bsalem05

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
His face looking red/raw is just a colouration. A lot of bettas have it, I think it's called the "helmet" effect. Mine does - his head is matte-black and the rest of his body is shiny. Great to hear that you got a positive second opinion! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the little guy.
Thanks! =) I do feel more assured..