Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

The general concensus is that the tea tree oil in bettafix will damage the laberynth organ - which is what they use to breathe from the surface. Others say it's a miracle drug. I have used it as I had nothing else avalible to me and saw no negative side effects. However, it's probably best not to use it..

If constipation is the issue - stop feeding him and use the Epsom salt. You can go up to 3 teaspoons per gallon if needed but you should slowly work your way up to that amount. (do 1 teaspoon per gallon then several hours later change the water and replace it with 2 teaspoons per gallon and then several hours after that change the water and replace with 3 teaspoons per gallon). Daphnia is supposed to be good for constipation but not sure where you would get it from.

A constipated betta will have an unusually swollen abdomen but in all other rights appear and act normally.

Does his stomach look llike this

are the scales sticking out like this? if so, it's Dropsy and not constipation
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #12 
buddy391

Pictures of my Betta

I changed his water and added the epsom salt. While it evaporates in there, I put him in the little container he came in (I don't have anything bigger). Sorry if the pictures aren't very clear. I cropped them so that it's clearer. The pictures are from the side with the inflammed gill and on the last one you can see the finrot.
Attached Images

buddy391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would try the espom salt for sure and keep his water extra clean...Best of luck I sure hope it helps !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #14 
sunlight

He is not severely bloated. Give us update. Like i said the epsom salt also has antibacterial affect. The salt also will help balance his electrolyte level and encourage the production of slime coat,which will in turn help protect him from infection. I agree with Tikibirds constipated betta usually will have swollen abdomen but in all other rights appear and act normally. Not sure why he is lethargic. So try epsom salt and give us update if he is not better and still lethargic i think it can be internal bacteria and you might need medications. Hopefully he will get better :(
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #15 
Tikibirds

Quote:
ot sure why he is lethargic. So try epsom salt and give us update if he is not better and still lethargic i think it can be internal bacteria and you might need medications. Hopefully he will get better :(
Internal parasites? But them he would probably have white stringy poop but not always and I think they eat like a pig but loose weight...

Eh, either way - epsom will help.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
constipated, finrot fin rot, help betta fish, sick