Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #161 
Syriiven

Oh it's just cloudy as all.....[insert flavor of word here].

basically the cycle wasn't going anywhere, and I lost patience so dumped a jar of food in. Over night I had the bacterial bloom I wanted, hooray! Finally seeing some nitrites!.....but the food also clogged my filter beyond repair, and has grown a slimy mucus that floats about. So altogether the tank smells like a frog tank and the water is terribly cloudy. There's slime stuck to everything, and I'm on my third water change.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #162 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, boy. That doesn't sound fun :/ I've heard that some of those live nitrifying bacteria things work (in a bottle). I've heard good things about bio-spira but it was expensive when I saw it at petsmart!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #163 
Syriiven

I only have what my Walmart has as an option, and that's Nutrafin cycle. But you know, maybe I'll just do the frequent water changes with a fish-in cycle if this cycle crashed on me. The smell, gods, the smell!! Lesson learned =S
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #164 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol well I went with the pure ammonia method on my fishless cycle but it is taking forever. A lot of those live bacteria bottles don't work... I have only heard good things about bio-spira and some other one Callistra used... They don't have a long shelf life though and the bio-spira was in a huge bottle -_-
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #165 
Syriiven

Lol....I'm just gonna do fish-in. I already do water changes on schedule, so I'll just add more. I'll be fine. 'Sides, teh ladies are sisters and apparently the alpha already decided who she is xD
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #166 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah I didn't want to go that route with my sorority because fish-in cycles expose them to spikes that can happen within a matter of 8 hours so they are easy to miss... And sororities are obviously delicate and one sick girl can cause major devastation. I'm just getting impatient with this cycle.. If I were to fish in cycle my sorority I would definitely be doing water changes daily regardless of testing just to err on the side of caution.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #167 
Syriiven

I'd be okay with doing a 25% every day. And I can test in the morning, at lunch, after work, before bed, repeat. Posted pics of my 'alpha' in my diary thread if you wanna see her =)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #168 
AyalaCookiejar

I saw her, she's pretty!!! Very nice finnage for a female, too :)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #169 
Syriiven

That's what Sena said =D I can't wait to get them going!

Are your girls free-swimming yet?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #170 
AyalaCookiejar

Nope, they are still in temporary tanks because I only have three. I know that three sometimes works but I will NOT take my chances, lol. I really wanted those stupid filters to cycle first :/ the one gallon tanks are much larger temporary tanks than most usually are and I haven't had them for a whole month, yet, either... I don't think the one gallons will hurt them in the least. When I get all 6 in the tank, they will each have a little under 2 gallons, technically, but it will be cycled and water changes will be easier.