Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #271 
AyalaCookiejar

So I have to write 5 paragraphs for English with the prompt "innocence" and I found the greatest quote: "It's innocence when it charms us, ignorance when it doesn't." And I just love quotes and I'm in awe at the moment.

Um, DaBaDee has white poo again. :( Bahari hasn't changed much but like I've said before, I don't think his lifespan will be a long one. He's still eating fine, lethargic as usual, and his buoyancy issues still aren't that bad anymore, but he floats vertically sometimes and sits on his tail at the bottom too, which Sakura8 said is not a good thing and usually means that time is coming. Its not new for him, though.

Also, after I fed my brothers loaches today, they actually came out to look for food even with the tank lights on! I got a few videos, including one of his black loach (Frank) doing what looks like breakdancing, lol, and his Kuhli loach (Claudio) was creeping in the background haha.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #272 
GoodMorning

someone's a vampire, 3 in the morning, ZZzzz...
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #273 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol it was only 2 here and I didn't have to work until 10:30am :p

Videos on my brothers loaches from yesterday and today... They only come out of hiding at food time, lol.

Frank breakdancing:
http://youtu.be/LQkktHYWJxI

Claudio eating:
http://youtu.be/IUdcyv6X7JI
Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 AM   #274 
AyalaCookiejar

I just got the e-mail from Chard56 saying my girls were shipped.

Also, one of my two plant QT tanks is infested with snails, lol. My only two healthy plants are in one tank with no snails, and the other four that melted/decayed with shipping and acclimation are feeding a bunch of itty bitty snails. I'm starting to see new growth on the plants but now I'm confused on how to cut of the dead parts of the plants without harming the new healthy growth, lol.

I'll figure it out eventually, ha. I think my anubias and java moss will be safe to add to the tank when its ready because no snails seem to have gotten into their tank.

Oh, I also had a few mini duckweed leaves that stuck to the plants I ordered so i put one in Lotus's tank and one in Stella's. Lotus ate hers, lol, but the one in Stella's tank is now six in Stella's tank!

I also fed Bahari two pellets and a bloodworm today and he had no SBD issues even though I decreased his salt concentration. Would it be a bad idea to put a snail in his tank to clear up algae after I remove all the salt? Lol.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #275 
AyalaCookiejar

I have my four new Chard56 girls, now :D They are being acclimated ATM and soon will be free to explore their temporary one gallon QT tanks. All six of the tanks are next to each other in the ten gallon so they can all see each other and get used to each other. Right now, they are still in the shipping bags and are paperclipped to the sides of the QT tanks. I've been adding in new water periodically but I will be able to release them, soon.

Paperclipping the bags to the sides of the tanks really worked well. I think when it gets time to add them all to the tank, I might put them in bags instead of cups and release them that way. Anyways, hopefully I'll be able to release all of them into the ten gallon on April 1st. I know that is a couple days shy of two weeks in QT, but I don't have school or work that Monday, and it will be the last day that I have a day off until after I graduate May 19. Plus, my current two girls have been in QT for over two months, now, and I really do trust that Chard56 has healthy fish and a nice, strong genetic background. I just want to check to make sure none are sick from shipping, but they really don't look bad at all. There's some stress stripes but they don't even look pale (even though I'm quite sure that they will gain a little color anyways). And the purple female is a stunning color, and she's also a fatty, lol :) cute.

Anyways, pictures are to come. It's hard to see them right now because they're still in the bags, so the only angle I can really get is a top one. I'm pretty sure I know which girl is the snow dragon but I'm not 100% on which is the fire dragon and which is the red dragon (I have an idea).

Lol, be prepared to see pictures of my QT set up as well.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #276 
Syriiven

Glad they arrived safely! Looking forward to pics!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #277 
AyalaCookiejar

Here they are!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #278 
Syriiven

Very pretty =D I love the cambodian! She loosk almost pink tho!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #279 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks. Chard said the top two are red dragons (one was supposed to be a snow dragon but she obviously colored up during shipping which I find strange) and the third is a for dragon. The red dragons have some spots on the top of their heads, both have the same mark right on their noses and the first one has a few more spots between her dorsal and her head that you can see in the picture. It reminds me of koi markings and I really really hope she keeps them!

I finally found an actual turkey bastor today. Before I had those little things that they use to suck boogers out of babies noses (gross, I know, but I am not sure what they are called but they were new so they were clean!). Our Walmart SUCKS at restocking stuff. I tried looking for a turkey bastor for months and they finally had one, just ONE. But I got it and it is the perfect size for the QT tanks. I wasn't about to use the same siphon for the new girls tank (defeats the purpose of QTing) so I bought an 8foot airline tube and cut it in half so I can siphon the water out of two tanks at one time because the tube is small and doesn't siphon fast, and then got the turkey bastor to suck out poo because the airline tubing is flimsy and hard to move around to get the poo out.

Its not a great system and it takes awhile, but its difficult to remove the QT tanks because its a right fit to get them in there, and it is only temporary. Plus, I'm against 100% changes because its just unnecessary stress. I haven't ever done 100% changes on Lotus or Stella's tanks except when I switched them to the new QT containers and they're fine. I still do 3 or 4 50% or larger changes per week and I get out all the poo, plus they don't let food sink so I don't have to worry about that.

Anyways, I'm a little concerned because there seems to be some hostility between the girls, especially from Lotus and Stella. They have gotten used to each others presences but they did quite a bit of flaring at the new girls, especially Stella. Plus, they try to attack me through the front of the tank glass for some reason. They seem to try to "get at" each other a little but Stella and Lotus definitely are more aggressive than the newer girls. The new girls for some reason seem to be aggressive towards me 0_0 but I'm their friend, I feed them!! Lol. Btw, they're all active and eating but the second girl pictured seems to be breathing heavily and has been since I added her to the new QT tank, even after the water change. I wonder if they are a little too exposed to each other, since I don't have plants between them anymore, but each tank has a nice sized silk plant in it.

The purple girl has stress stripes and they show up really dark and obvious in some pictures but in others you can barely notice them at all. I think they got darker when I removed her silk plant for a few minutes so I could try to capture pictures of her actual coloring. She's got like a purple/maroonish red color going on in her fins and I think I got some okay pictures of it. She definitely has more of a unique coloring than I was expecting! (She's also the oddball because she is the only dark female I have, lol).
Old 03-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #280 
Sparrowhawk

Eep! I hope they manage to get along once QT is up and they're all in together!

They're absolutely beautiful by the way. ^.^
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote