Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

He's blue, dabadee, dabadie, haha. It's a song by Eiffel 65 called I'm Blue (just in case you haven't heard it. It's very popular so I wouldn't be surprised if you have). I had actually gotten him last christmas for my boyfriend because his favorite color is blue, so he named him and now he has a theme song :p He's obviously more my fish than his, but my mom bought Bahari for me, so now we each kind of have our own fish. He says he doesn't like fish, but I think it's kind of a half-truth. He likes them more than he wants to admit!

I am super excited that my Hydor Theo heater shipped yesterday! It probably won't be here until next week. I also have another one ordered for the new tank, which was kind of a spur of the moment thing, but it will take even longer to get here :( :( :(

Both of my little guys seem to be doing pretty good right now, so I bet they'll do even better with their new heaters. I have obviously just recently started doing in depth research on bettas... I have learned so much from this site in a week, it's rediculous! I was the newbie last week, and now I'm one of the ones giving advice :p They are definitely an addiction, and the more you learn about them, the more addicted you get!

I have also officially decided that I cannot attend a college that doesn't allow fish in the dorms. I'm not going anywhere without them... I really don't believe that anyone around here that I know will keep them in good health, which is pretty sad.

On a side note, I went to walmart today to look for a thermometer for my new tank (and also took my friend so he could look at filters for his 60 gallon tank that he's been wanting to set up again), and all the bettas were stacked on top of each other covering the air holes for the ones on the bottom!
I immediately rearranged them in a pyramid type way so that at least the air holes weren't covered, and made sure to make a comment to an employee. His response was, "Oh, I didn't realize that they were doing that. I'll be sure to tell the pet department not to do that.."

He obviously had no idea that they shouldn't be stacked that way. There were a few not so good looking ones on the bottom, and one dead female :( At least he sounded somewhat concerned, although I'm not really sure if he's actually going to inform the pet department that I voiced my concerns. Next time I go in, I'll have to move the dead/half dead ones to the front, and re-state my concerns on their not-so-ideal conditions, and also inform them that betta fish breathe air and YOU CAN DROWN THEM. People look at me stupid when I say that, but it's true.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #22 
AyalaCookiejar

Bahari seems to have a pretty big belly. I wonder if he's constipated from trying to eat those floaty things that were in his cup when I got him.
Hopefully I'll get one of my heaters today, and I'm thinking I'll have to put it in Bahari's tank to speed up his metabolism, so poor little DaBaDee will have to wait a while longer for his heater :(
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #23 
AyalaCookiejar

Haha, FedEx lied to me :P
The tracking information estimated that my heater would get here yesterday. Well, it didn't make it yesterday, so the estimated arrival date changed to Monday, making me think that they didn't deliver on weekends :(

But my heater arrived on my doorstep today! Now little Bahari is slowly acclimating to a higher temp.

I thought he was bloated, but I'm pretty sure I was wrong. He is probably skinny due to the treatment he got at the petstore, so it made the front half of his body look bigger than the back half. I noticed poo at the bottom of the tank which made me realize that he wasn't constipated..

He is doing much better than he was on Tuesday. He isn't flaring quite as much at everything, and he is starting to explore his entire tank. For a few days, he wasn't going near the bottom of his tank at all. He was pretty much staying near the surface all the time, which also contributed to my thinking he was bloated. Silly me. I fasted my already skinny fish for a day :(

I can't wait to see how much he brightens up in the proper temperature. :)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #24 
AyalaCookiejar

The new tanks are almost perfect :D I just have to add a few more silk plants to DaBaDee's tank and hopefully get the plastic one outta there.

Bahari survived his water change today as well, and surprisingly isn't as stressed as I thought he'd be. Water changes don't go as smoothly for me now, since the biggest tank I've had before these was a one gallon. However, I did figure out how to use the gravel vac so I siphoned water both out and into Bahari's tank because I didn't want to mess up the gravel by pouring it in. And it also maybe had a little bit to do with the fact that I was fascinated by the siphoning process xD
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #25 
Syriiven

Thumbs up

Good to see Bahari's doing well. ^^ I love your tanks themes, they suit your bettas so well too!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #26 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks! I thought it was funny because it was mostly pure coincidence that the plants I ordered for Bahari's tank match him so well, since I ordered them before I even saw him xD
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #27 
AyalaCookiejar

I got DaBaDees heater today! I put it in his tank on lunch break. I also got some stress coat and Epsom salt just in case. Hopefully I'll be getting Seachem prime soon as I just found out that my tap water has ammonia :/
Old 12-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #28 
Syriiven

Yay, heater! I get to go get my bettas' stuff tomorrow finally =) And two new bettas. Sucks about the ammonia tho...>.<
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #29 
AyalaCookiejar

Well the last time I checked ammonia was right after a water change. I just retested the ammonia in the tap and both tanks. The tap is now at .25, Bahari's tank was slightly less green and DaBaDees is 0 (or really close). Now I'm afraid to do water changes until my brother can get me Seachem Prime! :/

I love getting my new fish stuff in the mail! Everyone thinks I'm weird because I get so excited, haha. It's a hobby. I am kinda sad because I can't do my water changes yet xD
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #30 
Syriiven

They should be okay, you can only do what's in your power for them =) And I totally get the excited part xD The other day at work I rattled on about bettas for 20 minutes to my manager xD