betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #291 
Syriiven

Very cute ;)
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #292 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you :)

Soooo I think I've decided on names!!!!!!

Kuraokami (instead of Okami-den, still Okami for short)

Daihatsu

Ascari

Murcielago (Mercy)

Daihatsu and Ascari are probably two of my favorite names. (But the third girl does seem a little calmer and Ascari seems less outgoing of the two names to me.) The first girl is my favorite because of her spots so she shall be named after Okami. She (and the third girl) also has blue eyes like Okami.

I did debate between Vitara and Murcielago for the purple girl, but after observing her personality she seems more like a "Mercy" because she's so feisty (and fat! Lol). I do think she looks more like a Vitara but Mercy fits her personality a bit better.

Also, Kuraokami has a bit better ring to it than Okami-den and both serve the same purpose - to honor Okami, though she didn't have a long life, she quickly became my favorite. She had incredible personality!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #293 
AyalaCookiejar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMIMOb1RwdA

Here's a horrible video of the girls in their QT tanks.
They worked out quite well, I think. Though they're not all in the same tank, yet, they can all six see each other and I can see all six of them swimming around at the same time. It's fun to watch them communicate with each other.

I had some issues at first with Stella and Lotus flaring at the new girls (and each other when I first got them) and I have even seen Daihatsu flaring at one of the other girls (one of her dragon sisters, actually). But it seems to have died down. I actually think they try to attack me or the tank walls more than they attempt to attack each other. It might be possible that the QT tanks in the ten gallon cause even more reflection inside the tanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #294 
AyalaCookiejar

I got my nerite snail today. He's still floating in his bag. Bahari's checking it out :)

I wasn't able to acclimate him earlier because I had to work at four and the mailman was running late. He said one of the mail carriers dad had a heart attack this morning... It was almost 3:30 and I walked down the street when I saw the mailman and asked when he was going to get to my house so he just gave me the package. All I had time to do was float his bag in the tank. Now that its the right temp, I've started to add some tank water to the bag to get him acclimated.

At first I couldn't find him, lol. He was out of the water, all the way at the top of the bag in the corner. I was also unsure at first if he was still alive but I floated the bag and saw him move slightly. When I got back from work he had crawled up the side of the bag a little bit and I can see his antennas moving.

I'm going to finish acclimating him tomorrow because its late and all my fishies are asleep already.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #295 
Syriiven

One thing I've found about nerites -- super active, climb into the top corner of your tank to breath and cause panic when you don't think they're there, are proficient escape artists. Open tanks a re a no, rofls. Curtis found Sidney (our female nerite) behind the tank stand.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #296 
AyalaCookiejar

There's a small feeding hole in the top of the tank and a small opening in the back for the filter but I think I could cover that with plastic craft mesh. Lol, thanks for the heads up :) I didn't know they would climb out of the tank! 0_0

I think I will name HER (previous owner said she's laid eggs so she must be a her, lol) Nero. I love that name, that artist, and it kind of sounds like Nerite, lol. :)

She isn't too active right now, so I am letting her rest along with the other fishies although I haven't finished acclimation yet. She's still floating in the bag. She probably had a rough couple of days shipping!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #297 
Syriiven

Prlly, but she'll perk up soon as she gets to be acclimated and in clean water.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #298 
AyalaCookiejar

I put her in the tank today and she immediately started moving around and eating algae :)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #299 
Syriiven

Woo!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:56 AM   #300 
AyalaCookiejar

She's stopped moving, now. She hasn't gone far, really. She traveled all the way up the side of the tank when I first releases her and has not really moved since :/ I hope my water parameters are good for nerites! I have a higher pH but I don't know my kH/gH. However I did cover the holes in the hood with craft mesh.

Its crazy how I went from one fish last November to twelve (yes, I am counting my snail and my brothers fish). I found out today that his plecos name is Fido, lol. He forgot and just remembered.

So I have (in this order) DaBaDee, Bahari, Frank, Claudio, Fido, Stella, Lotus, Kuraokami, Ascari, Daihatsu, Mercy, and Nero. Though Frank, Claudio, and Fido are fostered, there's no telling how long they will be here. I'm planning on more nerites (I need to compile a list of names!) when possible and I'd really like a male (named Veyron) for my four gallon.

Btw, the "tanks" thing that's part of the main forum - I went back and changed some stuff again today, lol, though no one probably looks at them. Had to add my four girls and Nero to the lists and I switched the sorority and four gallon tanks to "planted" although they aren't quite yet, lol. I tried to include EVERYTHING. It makes me feel better about myself, lol. Now I need pictures!