Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #301 
Syriiven

They breathe air, so sometimes they'll hangout above your water line for a while. They also dont rlly like bright light I've found, so they'll hide for a good portion of the day too. Generally if they stop moving and die, they'll curl up in their shell or fall over. They'll definitely look dead.

ph of 7+ is best for them, as lower ph's tend to eat holes in their shells. My Sidney has a very badly holed shell because the store I got her and Gary from has a ph of 6. >>
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #302 
AyalaCookiejar

I've read that they need a certain gH and kH but I don't have any way to test that! I do know that my pH is not acidic enough to eat holes in their shells, though. She doesn't seem to like the water, even after a water change... She crawls out and sits above the water line.

After waiting 3 and a half months... I cannot believe that I'm going to be setting up my sorority tomorrow!! I AM SO EXCITED! I want to do it NOW but I can wait one more day. I mean, after all, it's been like.... 105 days.

Fingers crossed that they all get along and everything goes perfectly....
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #303 
Sparrowhawk

Woo! Sorority time!! Can't wait for pictures! :D
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #304 
Syriiven

Give her some time, she'll come to cope with it =) Those super expensive Master Kits you can buy can test for the other water params, but paying 100 bucks is a lot. Least that's what it is up here.

Yay, Sorority!!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #305 
AyalaCookiejar

Haha just woke up, realized its sorority day... And now I'm nervous that maybe the girls won't get along. Ahh! Fingers crossed.

I really need some coffee right now
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #306 
Syriiven

I'm sure things will work fine. =)
Old 04-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #307 
AyalaCookiejar

I just released them and it looks like Ascari is doing most of the flaring, chasing, and nipping, surprisingly. Her and Diahatsu got into it first, Kuraokami seems like she's very upset from being chased and is breathing hard, Stella's like the little kid who keeps trying to follow everyone around, Mercy is holding her own, and Lotus was smart and found a nice spot in the back near the bottom where no one has really bothered her yet.

I hope the flaring calms down. There's a lot of chasing, too.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #308 
AyalaCookiejar

Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #309 
Syriiven

Still chasing lots?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #310 
AyalaCookiejar

The chasing has calmed down a bit after a short amount of time. Lotus is very good at staying hidden and Ascari seems to like swimming up and down in the corner by the filter (which I had to baffle a bit more because when they swam in front of it the current pushed them downwards and they kept swimming into it like "WTF?!" lol!). I tied more filter foam to the front of it with fishing line.

The others seem to be able to swim right next to each other with no issues. When Daihatsu and Okami get too close to Ascari, they freak out and dart around the tank really fast. Okami got chased by her once and she darted to a bottom corner of the tank and sat there for a bit breathing really heavily, but then she just got up and swam away normally. I saw some nipping but no damage. Mercy does have a small bit missing out of her tail but that was from shipping.

Lotus actually got stuck in the ziplock bag when I released her and was very shook up! When I tried opening the bags and tipping them all out, her bag closed and she got stuck in it with no water! She was breathing heavily and staying in one spot for awhile but the other girls left her alone and she's doing better, now.

I'm not home right now but I decided they'd be okay for a bit. There wasn't too much aggression when I left and I think they just need time. I don't think I will have to remove anyone but Ascari might need a time-out. We will see, though. They haven't been in there for too long an I'm hoping they will sort it out on their own.