Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #351 
AyalaCookiejar

I added safestart to Bahari's tank the other day along with a little bit of filter foam to the filter. I'm hoping this will do the trick with the stupid cycle. I'm getting plants next week and PandaBetta has a sale of $1 red cherry shrimp. My snail seems to be having troubles cleaning the algae but I need the tank to cycle to add shrimp.

I do notice that Nero seems to move more at night. During the day she stays at the water surface but at night (well, in the morning when I wake up) I often see her near the bottom. There's just so much algae!

I read about RCS that they can adjust to many water parameters but need a minimum of 10 gallons? I hope the 5.5 will be fine for just one shrimp. Plenty of food, both algae and pellets that Bahari lets sink. Won't have to worry about predators since Bahari is blind as a bat and stays at the surface usually.

RCS won't harm HIM, right? Lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #352 
Syriiven

I don't think so.......I dont think I've read anywhere of a case of a ghost or cherry shrimp harming a betta.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #353 
AyalaCookiejar

I've read that ghost shrimp if big enough can harm a Betta but I think RCS are different.

I was just curious because sometimes Bahari chills at the bottom of the tank. It seems that he mostly hangs out at the top near Nero, though, lol. But when he's at the bottom he rests unmoving (most likely sleeping) and could be the easiest target ever. But he's far from greedy - he definitely would share enough food with the shrimp, lol.

If I got a shrimp that was actually active it would make the tank much more interesting since Bahari and Nero spend most of their time chilling by the surface doing nothing unless I'm not looking.

I also added another silk plant for more cover and resting places for Bahari. I should add one to DaBaDees tank as well (which is also beginning to grow algae >:/)
Old 04-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #354 
Syriiven

The only concern I can think of is Bahari's reactino if the RCS bumps into him. bahari's still blind, right? he could get a super fright and get injured, I think. I'd almost go for a snail instead, just because it's slower moving...but Iunno. bahari prlly senses things via vibration too....so maybe an RCS wouldnt bother him much cuz he'd pre-sense it before it bumped him.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #355 
AyalaCookiejar

There's a Nerite snail he chills next to all the time :) all movement frightens him (or just interests him?) and when he gets frightened he darts to the top for air, lol.

He really NEEDS some stimulation. Most bettas get theirs through sight. I highly doubt he will find/harm the shrimp just because he can't even find his food unless it touches his mouth and he still sometimes misses.

He's still blind as a friggin bat. I don't expect he will ever see again. Ever. He can't see a thing except for that he can sense bright light.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #356 
Syriiven

That's pretty blind, lol. Well if he's chill with a snail, I dont see harm in a shrimp. RCS arent group animals, are they>?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #357 
AyalaCookiejar

I hope not because they're rapid breeders. I think its easy to sex them, though. Idk, more research! Lol
Old 04-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #358 
Syriiven

Yea I had that concern about my cories, but apparently I'm safe with them =S Never even thought of it before grabbing them, shame on me.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #359 
AyalaCookiejar

Well, apparently something went on the last few days that I was unaware of because there are two huge piles of snail crap in Bahari's tank 0_0 I heard they had a bioload but I was unaware that that much poo could come out of one snail in less than 48 hours!

I wonder if adding the safestart made her perk up?

The chunk missing out of Mercys tail has also grown a bit bigger :(
Old 04-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #360 
Syriiven

I have watched Sidney, my larger nerite, sit on my glass and just poop. For hours. I didnt think they had THAT big of a load either, but I guess maybe they get a little constipated or something, iounno. Or just wake up and dot heir business? =S

Flaring will make tears grow bigger - Sylvannas got a huge tear in ehr caudal so I added Stresscoat to the 29g. It healed fast tho.