Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #381 
AyalaCookiejar

It lasted slightly over a year (warranty is one year). After looking at reviews, this is common. It works great (for a year or so) IF you use nothing but the expensive k-cups. But this one year warranty piece of crud for $130 versus the 2-year-warranty $20 coffee maker that can easily brew the same size cup... Yeah. I was a little upset having to drink instant coffee. But at least we are advanced and have a special faucet on our sink that always dispenses 180 degree water so no microwaving water at least :p

And yes :) I found him chilling on a silk plant. He disappeared later but at least I know he is still alive!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #382 
AyalaCookiejar

It took me all day but, I finally memorized the first paragraph of my rhetoric manuscript. Only 6 more to go before I present it verbatim in front of the whole class on Wednesday.

Great..
Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #383 
AyalaCookiejar

Before I go off to sleep...

I just got home and the tank lights are off but I turn on dim lights every night so I can check on everyone quick before bed without waking them (except Mercy who is always awake at this time - not sure if she's a late nighter or just a light sleeper, lol). So of course with dim lights its a little hard to see but it looks like there's a lot of new plant growth in the sorority! Mostly the water sprite and hornwort but I do see some new leaves on the rotala.. How exciting!

As you probably know, Fridays are my fast days and my no fishy time days due to having both school and work :( BUT, 2 weeks are left of school and this is my LAST FRIDAY!! Next Friday is Senior Skip Day and the Friday after is the official last day of school and only the freshmen have to be there, haha :)

I always miss seeing DaBaDee on Fridays because he's always sleeping like a rock as soon as the tank lights go out :(
Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #384 
AyalaCookiejar

Bahari was not doing too well last weekend. He was laying on the gravel and almost refusing to move. I used my skewer to nudge him up to the surface of the water so he would breathe. He was also breathing heavily and his mouth looked like he was gasping. He's been put in a half gallon QT floating in his tank and I shoved a large silk plant in the bottom so he could rest and get to the surface easier and added a tsp of Epsom salt to his half gallon tank and he does seem to be doing better, now.

Water parameters are fine and my shrimp and snail are doing great. I'm planning on moving the snail to the sorority tank next week. Ill have more time to watch her and make sure she isn't being harassed too much.

The sorority tank also was redone a little. I added a fake log ornament to set on top of the roots of the Anubias. Now they can root themselves into the gravel. I removed all but one silk plant so it's mostly all live plants. It's a little bare ATM but the plants will grow and the girls are doing just fine.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #385 
AyalaCookiejar

So for my ocean themed graduation party, I'm setting out a jar for donations to MoonShadow's rescue! I already have about $3 in change in it :p

I typed up a thing that explained it a bit, what her rescue does and how she doesn't charge adoption fees or anything. I said it's in NY and that all that equipment has to get costly! I printed it, taped it to a piece of cardboard and am going to attach it to a skewer and have it sticking out of the jar. I also have one of those digital picture frames that will have a slideshow of photography I've done of my fish next to it, and then I'll have a separate one of those for the rest of my photography that does not have to do with fish.

Everyone keeps telling me that I'll need the money for college but I think I can spare a bit of change, yeah? I've already got over 2 grand in scholarships, 3 grand saved in my bank account, and 14 grand in a fund my parents set up for me for college. That's 19 grand, and it will cost an estimated 21 grand for all 2 years of college including tuition, books, room and board, and food. $2000 to go! (Plus, this doesn't include the money I'll get for graduation. I remember my brother got about $800 at his graduation party.)

I do think my mom is planning on helping me financially, too, at least for the first year of college. I want to take my dog and have estimated $715 a year for him, including food, yearly vet check-ups, vaccinations, heartworm and flea preventatives and about $50 for toys, leashes, or collars if I need to replace them. Thankfully fish are pretty much a one time expense and I have meds on-hand already. I just hope I won't need to replace a tank or a heater, but I think I might be able to spare it! (I hope!)

I'm obviously good at saving my money so I hope it won't be too big of an issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #386 
AyalaCookiejar

Today is the best day of my life. I AM DONE WITH RHETORIC!!!!!!

Now I just have easy classes, graduation in less than 2 weeks!!! Money saved, college planned sort of...

Wow. My life is literally just beginning. 0_0

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 05-08-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #387 
AyalaCookiejar

Bahari passed away last night in his QT tank. I was expecting it, actually. I guess I won't be able to enter him in Skye's contest.

I really hope he can see again under the rainbow bridge. He didn't seem like a very happy fish most of the time, although he was still eating fine, he didn't move around much and these last two weeks really seemed to be having issues breathing.

The snail and shrimp are doing fine and I'm glad he was in QT when he passed because then his body didn't affect his other tank mates.

I've already said that if (when) he passed away, I was going to adopt from MoonShadow. I'll have to get his tank cleaned up. I don't think he had any diseases that were contagious but we'll still be safe.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #388 
AyalaCookiejar

I went and looked at an apartment in the town where I'm going to college today and it was small but it allowed fish (unfortunately not dogs but most don't) and was really cheap. Less than $350 a month with utilities. But after we left, as I was filling out the application they called and said that someone who looked at it last week rented it.

The rest that are available are 2 bedroom or bigger and not really in my price range. :( I guess MAYBE ill get lucky and find one that allows dogs. Gotta start filling out apps for everywhere I guess. I DON'T WANT A DORM ROOM. They don't allow fish and I could not bear living with one or two other random females in a tiny space. I'm just not a people person. That apartment was small but perfect for my boyfriend and I.

Ugh. Just, ugh. This really blows.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #389 
dramaqueen
Banned

Congrats on your graduation and good luck with college.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #390 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks, DQ! :)

So I got some more decorations for my party :) I LOVE this giant fish thing! Lol. We're going to put my cards in it :) I get to keep it afterwards but I'm not sure what I should do with it, lol.

And my MoonShadow donation jar:

:)