Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #411 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, yes. I did finally get to that, lol :p It's hard to send pictures off my phone so I usually wait until I can get to a computer and forget once I do, haha.

I kind of "stole" some silk leaves from walmart today, lol. They had fallen off of some of the silk flower things and were laying on the bottom of the shelf so I put them in my purse so I can float them in Veyron's tank as something near the surface to rest on until the live plants start growing. I'd also like to put one of those MoonRock caves in his tank but walmart sucks at stocking and is currently out >:/ Anyways, right now those two leaves are soaking in really hot water to disinfect and also make sure that they don't leach any color into the water. I also don't think they'd care that I "stole" two leaves that fell off of some fake plant bouquets (the shelf was pretty much empty except for the few leaves laying on the bottom) and they were probably going to end up in the trash, anyways. I was at first going to ask if it was OK for me to take them but then I thought they'd probably thing I was crazy for asking permission to take trash (or for taking it in the first place, haha).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #412 
AyalaCookiejar

I spoke too soon the other day - Lotus passed away today.

I came home to 5 very happy girls and Lotus's body laying on the bottom, being picked on by all the other girls. She did have some buoyancy issues but otherwise the only thing wrong with her body was she was missing an eye and her fins were shredded by the other girls...

I just don't know what to do now :(
Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #413 
AyalaCookiejar

Well, I think that Lotus's death MIGHT have something to do with buoyancy issues. I was at work all day and she was gone already by the time I got back, BUT her buoyancy issues were recurrent - it seemed to happen every other week and always on Sundays and the day after she'd have a few more fin rips than usual since the other girls could easily nip at her when she was unable to swim as easily. I found her with shredded fins, missing part of her anal fin and an eye and the other girls were still pecking at her body.
Anyways, to get my mind off of it for awhile, I think I'm going to analyze each of their personalities and give you an "introduction" to each of my fish. And I'm bored.

DaBaDee - he's getting chill in his old age, lol. He's lazy and sleeps a lot but always comes up to greet me with his cute hungry face. I feel like he is waving when he comes up to the front of the tank and wiggles his pectorals at me.

Mercy - she's the loner and the peacekeeper. She is the most likely to wander off to other parts of the tank when the rest of the girls are jumping over each other near the front trying to get my attention. She doesn't usually get into the sorority "drama" and she is also the late nighter. When all the other girls go to sleep she likes to patrol the tank by herself :) she also seems to break up some quarrels. She NEVER is aggressive towards others unless they are first, but they don't usually mess with her.

Stella - she's got such a cute personality. She's the smallest girl, but she likes to act like she's not. She CAN be a loner at times. I think she's the most curious. She spends more time checking out aquarium decor than the other girls and I think she thinks she owns them all, haha. She gives the other girls the grumpy face when they get too close to her decorations. She's the easiest to get pictures of too since she spends time near the middle of the tank where the lighting is better.

Daihatsu - she's the suicidal girl, lol. She's definitely a jumper and tries to jump out of the tank every day at feeding time! D:

Ascari - she's the moody one. She's the most likely to chase the other girls off when they get too close. Ironically, she's also the one who has the dark lining on her mouth that looks like a mustache kind of. It makes her look grumpy :)

Kuraokami - I think she's the one who blends in the most and goes along with the crowd. She's not the most aggressive nor the loner, and since my dragon girls look similar, sometimes it's hard to tell them apart when I'm not paying attention, lol.

The last three - Daihatsu, Ascari, and Kuraokami are the dragon girls and sisters and they spend the most time together. The other two are more loners, while they are kind of a "pack". They have tons of personality but like I said, if I'm not looking closely, it can be hard to tell the three apart.

Lotus - she was also a loner. I feel like she was the younger kid who wanted to tag along but wasn't really welcome. Her big eyes made her look SO sweet but at the same time, made her look sad. Swim in peace <3
Old 05-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #414 
AyalaCookiejar

Well I went to work at 4 today and about 4:45 sirens were going off and power went out.

For you American folks, my county was on national news about an hour ago. Three funnel clouds were in my county at one time, red all over the map.

We could see the funnel cloud from work (ill upload a pic) and cell phone service went out. I had no idea if my dog was in the basement (thankfully my dad did move his kennel) and if my fish were safe but the power didn't go out at my house. SO GLAD!!!!!!!!!

They let me leave work early so I'm home now. The tornado touched down 4 miles from my house in the country. My dad just went out to assess damage - some flipped irrigation pipes and lots of damaged trees, some blocking roads. There was a house out there but the only damage he saw was shingles stripped off the roof of a barn. People were already out there clearing trees out of the roads.

The storms have moved east but more are developing. My boss said there were 14 spotted funnel clouds in the area but I don't know how many touched down. No one was killed or injured to my knowledge, and the power is still out on the South side of town where KFC is. The radio broadcast went off air temporarily when they lost power and the sirens went off so they had to relocate.

It's the worst thing in the world to hear the sirens and watch a tornado develop and move towards your town, especially when you're stuck at work with no cell phone signal, can't get ahold of your family and have no idea if your home, family, or pets are safe. I have to say that I was very worried about my dog, especially since he was stuck in his kennel upstairs.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #415 
AyalaCookiejar

So this is the KFC parking lot. I guess no one wanted chicken today cause it looks pretty empty 0.o hmm
Old 05-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #416 
Syriiven

Is that a funnel cloud??
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #417 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah it touched down in the country. Messed up some trees and irrigation pipes, ripped some shingles off a barn.
Oh yeah, and right before that picture was taken it ripped up a bunch of power lines and all the fast food restaurants outside of town along the interstate lost power and closed.

I got off work early, lol. I guess all the fast food restaurants in town are super crazy busy lololol.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #418 
AyalaCookiejar

So today at 2pm ish I was in my room arranging Veyron "Sprite"s tank again when I heard a splash come from the sorority tank, or what sounded like a girl jumping out of the water and hitting the hood, HARD. I swear at that moment something flew out of the tank and hit the wall (probably a water drop), but then I frantically looked around the tank for a flopping fish and turned on the light and checked for all 5 girls, who were all happily swimming around, except Stella who was mad that I woke her from her beauty sleep. I looked for Daihatsu specifically because she's my jumper. She looked at me with innocent little eyes like she does and swam around looking at me for some food. Then I noticed something VERY disturbing - Ascari is missing 2/3 of her dorsal fin and has an open sore on her body where her fin was once attached. It was bleeding and quite swollen.

I have a feeling she jumped and ripped it off when she hit the hood because her and Kuraokami have never had nipped fins and none have had such severe injuries from the other girls. Plus it totally explains the noise I heard. Anyways, I added a few extra drops of vitachem and stress coat to the tank. She's acting totally fine, like her dorsal fin isn't half missing or anything, you know. No big deal...

Then later my Nerite freaked me out laying on her back in the corner of the tank not moving, but I flipped her back over and she's since moved from where I left her which is good.

Also, DaBaDee has been lazy and lethargic lately but I think, but am not certain, that I may be seeing very, very slight pineconing.... I really hope I'm just hallucinating but I don't know. It's very slight, you have to look REALLY close... I don't know if its for real so I don't want to treat him but I know it's too late if I don't do so immediately... I have the Kanaplex dissolved and ready for his tank.

Ugh, I just lost two and I don't want to lose any more :( he's my oldest buddy.

Edit: crud, too many updates for one night, haha! Forgot to mention that I made that homemade leaf hammock for Veyron's tank and now I just need electrical tape to keep it in place (tied fishing line to the leaf, lol). Also cut out craft mesh to cover the holes in the good which also need taped with electrical tape. It's black which will blend in with the hood. All my other tape is neon colored duct tape, lol.

Anyways, following the betta video contest in the contest section, someone posted a vid of their betta Ciel crawling into an IAL leaf hammock and it was the CUTEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN OMG!!!! Watch it lol you might cry at how cute it is. Really hope Veyron likes my homemade leaf hammock :) MoonShadow said he is very active and likes to flare at himself hahahah :D

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 05-30-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #419 
AyalaCookiejar

I made a decision today. Last night I thought I could kind of see slightly raised scales on DaBaDee and was treating him with Epsom salt already for buoyancy. I wasn't sure on medicating him but I got the Kanaplex ready and didn't add it.

This morning I woke up and he was kind of floating on his side in the front of the tank by the thermometer (he seems to love that thing) instead of sleeping in his usual spot, the squidward house or behind the filter. This is really strange for him. He's been getting duller in color for awhile and I can't really tell if his belly is lighter since he's lost color all over, but it did look a little round...

I don't think he'll make it too long, and I'm not sure if its old age or sickness. On the chance that its sickness, I decided to treat him with Kanaplex... It's obviously and internal problem and I had treated him with metro awhile back. He doesn't have internal parasites anymore.

Idk, maybe I'm making it worse by treating him if its just old age, but I'm, at this point, willing to try anything at the slight chance that it will work and he will regain his color and activity level.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #420 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol so I went to Lincoln today to the zoo and then to petco to get filter sponge, betta hammocks and a siphon for Veyron's tank and guess who followed me out the door?

Lol. He doesn't have a name yet. I'm thinking possibly Hari Kari or Zenvo but idk. He will be going in Baharis old 5 gallon tank :) he seems pretty active and friendly. I went to Dairy Queen right after and got a paper bag to put his cup in because its easier to hold and blocks out all that sunlight.

Lol, so anyways, I fail at self control.