Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #431 
AyalaCookiejar

Mercy didn't make it.... I don't understand. I was really hoping she would have a decent chance since I actually have Kanaplex now and I treated early and... Not even two days. Even Okami made it 3 without meds. Her body looks so much like Okami's did except its sinking rather than floating... Maybe she couldn't get to the surface and drowned? I lowered the water level... Came home and she's gone.

I don't get it. The other 4 girls are perfectly fine. Ascari was doing better, DaBaDee stopped pineconing... And Mercy is gone. I thought of her as the toughest girl I had. She was my loner and my peacekeeper. Out of all my girls, I really like her, Stella and Diahatsu. I don't know why. Maybe stress? She got stress stripes sometimes, and I'm almost sure Lotus's mystery death had a lot to do with stress..

I'm worried about my other 4 girls, too. If I lose one more they all have to be separated and I don't know how to prevent this.. I don't know why or how she went so quickly.

I just wish I could be a fish whisperer or something...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #432 
Syriiven

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much loss and trouble right now =( I don't really know what to suggest. I hope everyone else will be okay. I completely understand, if only we could talk to them and they could tell us exactly what's up.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #433 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm at least glad my remaining girls seem to be doing fine and DaBaDee is getting better and Zenvo is doing fantastically (idk about his RCS, though... Haven't seen her in a while..)

Ascari's wound on her back from ripping off her dorsal is healing nicely. The wound itself is healed up and I'm starting to see regrowth of her actual fin at the base. Daihatsu's little nip in her caudal fin isn't healing quickly but it's not getting worse, and she also has a wound on her side. Kuraokami has no fin nips but I think she's got a little wound between her eyes and dorsal fin. Stella has no wounds on her body or fins besides her pectoral, which happened a while ago but still isn't healing much at all.

I have noticed that quite a bit of chasing and nipping has been going on. Poor girls, it's the second time in a couple weeks that they've had to re-establish their pecking order.

Anyways, I wasn't expecting Mercy to go so soon (I honestly had thought she had a good chance of making it) and I posted a thread because I was thinking about dividing DaBaDee's 5.5 and putting her in there, since I'd have no other place to put her and DaBaDee is getting old and doesn't really use all of his space anymore. If a girl of mine survived dropsy, I wouldn't put her back into the sorority tank... Obviously she did not make it, but I got some good info off of that thread in case I need to divide my sorority tank if I lose another girl or if I decide I need more bettas and have to divide to make more room, lol. I've been kind of against the divided tank think but you never know.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #434 
Fabi

Nice!~~~
Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #435 
AyalaCookiejar

OMG. Zenvo today.... Ahahaha. I put my face up by the tank... Just watching him.. And he swam up to the glass and just stared at me, head on. Then he went on to do a little lip pucker and a loud *SMACK* noise (very loud for such a little fish) RIGHT ON THE GLASS. He was giving me a kiss, I am certain! :D

Also for those of you who actually read this, or haven't seen my thread for Mercy in the memorials section, someone said they'd never thought of naming their fish after cars and that got me into my whole naming thing and I explained how all my fish got their names. I figure my journal is a good place to post it but I'm too lazy to re-type it so here you go, copied and pasted, lol.

Quote:
My brother got me into it! He has loaches and since they move so fast, he should've named them Lighting or something fast, lol. Then he said something about Veyron. It's a Bugatti, fastest car on the market. I fell in love with the name Veyron as soon as he mentioned it.

Many of my fish also have theme songs (Mercy by Kanye West... Lamborghini Mercy in that song actually is talking about the Lamborghini Murcielago). I already had Lotus, I named her after the flower because she was pink but ironically, it's also a type of car. Stella is a type of alcohol, named after the song Stella by All Time Low (about alcohol).

So I looked up a bunch of car names, lol. Daihatsu, Ascari, and Zenvo are also cars.

DaBaDee is blue and named after that song I'm Blue (DaBaDee, dabadie) by Eiffel 65. Bahari means ocean/sea in Swahili, his theme song was The Little Mermaid's "Under the Sea".

I am name obsessed lol. I don't like kids but I have a list of names for kids that I never want to have, haha. I figured it'd be easier to have a bi list of names for fish. It's saved on my phone. :)
Old 06-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #436 
AyalaCookiejar

So I found this old post by Myates and it kind of eased my mind about DaBaDee (I'd rather him be old than sick from something nasty!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Each betta will be different as they age, but typical signs of age is dulling/muting of the color (not to be confused with a sick betta who has become pale), so that the color isn't as bright as it once was. That can happen subtly, or quite significantly over time.
Also they tend to start getting a humpback.. in a sense can look like a salmon.
They can become "bony" in appearance.. and individual scales may look more prominent.
Loss of sight is quite common- not being able to see well, cataracts that look like a white film over the eyes. You can tell if losing sight by him lunging at food and missing, not noticing things outside the tank as often, etc.
Gradual slow in activities.. older bettas tend to lay around most of the day, whereas young ones should be quite active. But it is gradual, if it seems sudden then there is most likely something else going on with your guy.
Older bettas may not show the enthusiasm for food like they used to. They may show less interest in their humans or stop their “wiggle dances” entirely. Their tenacity for flaring may lessen over time as well. A betta that used to put on a show for other males or his own reflection may not display with the gusto he once did.

All of those signs should be gradual, to where you don't notice them happen "all of a sudden"... if one day he is fine, and the next he is showing these sort of signs then that means there is something else wrong with him that isn't age related.
He has ALL these symptoms. Dull color (kind of blue, still, but more brown, kind of transparentish, not white like when they are pale), humpback, bony, misses his food when he lunges, very lethargic, less frequent "wiggle dances", won't flare. And it definitely didn't happen overnight. I started noticing duller color a while ago, but I know it's gotten worse. I know he's gotten more lethargic. But it's been getting worse for months.

I'm just glad, that he isn't sick with something really bad that could affect my other fish... I just don't know why he's buoyant, even with Epsom salt...
Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #437 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm sitting on my bed watching Zenvo build a bubble nest. He'll blow a few bubbles, swim off to flare at himself in the reflection of the tank, and come back to blow more bubbles. <3
Old 06-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #438 
AyalaCookiejar

So, the rest of my girls are doing awesome. Of all of them, even though Daihatsu has the worst fin damage from nips, I am more afraid of losing Stella. She is the smallest and had the same genetics as Lotus. Her only fin damage though is her pectoral. It does look better than it did but its healing slowly.

Same with Daihatsu. Her damage on her caudal is healing pretty slow. She was also missing an entire pelvic fin which looks to be healing. Ascari's dorsal is healing magnificently. Her wound in her back has healed, but now I'm seeing new growth on her fin so we will see how fast that heals. Kuraokami had the first year in her anal fin that I've ever seen on her a couple days ago but it's healed completely.

DaBaDee is still buoyant and had a rounded belly. I'm fasting him but the buoyancy doesn't seem to get better at all when he poops, so idk... I am going to start feeding him less. His activity level is not where the others' are so I feel he may need less food.

Zenvo is just doing awesome <3 I haven't seen the RCS forever, though, so I don't think she's around anymore. My Nerite is still kicking. I'm also thinking Ill actually get Veyron (Sprite) this week!!! His tank is ready for him and all the plants in that tank are thriving. There's twice as much hornwort. The bulb in both his tank (4 gallon) and the 10 gallon are 6500k daylight bulbs but his tank has 2watts per gallon and the 10 has 1.5, so I'm thinking that's the difference? Although the hornwort in the 10 gallon is really filling in.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #439 
AyalaCookiejar

How did I forget to post this lol

Veyron's tank now with the moon cave. This pictures not that old but there is more hornwort now.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #440 
colorxmexravyne

*eagerly waiting a post about/picture of Veyron*
*also i swear i'm not stalking you*
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote