Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #1 
freesia

SBD and popeye ?, please help...

My Beta needs your help… I was away for 2 weeks, when I returned he looked ok. His regular tank is 10 gal, sponge filter, heater - temp. 78, live plants, water changes 25% every week except this last 2 weeks, Prime added. I noticed on second day of my return that our Beta is very unwell. His one eye is huge and pop. He also is floating on water surface on his side. I panicked. I put him in 1 gal QT and added KanaPlex. On next day there was no change, so I did 100% water change added 1 tsp./gallon Epson salt and KanaPlex. He can eat, but I don’t give him food because probably he was overfeed. He doesn’t move much, just floats on his side on surface. What should I do? How to measure proper dosage of kanaPlex for 1 gall? (Direction: 1 scoop for 5 gallons) Should I put Kanaplex daily because of 100% water changes? More Epson salt? Please help…
freesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Freesia and sorry about your betta.

For the most part, Kanaplex won't hurt your betta when it comes to popeye, although the medicine's effectiveness in treating his condition will depend on what caused it. If his popeye was caused by a bacterial infection then the Kanaplex should help but if it was caused by an injury or even external parasites, it will be ineffective. The Kanaplex should help for an internal bacterial infection he may have that is causing him to float.

For dosing Kanaplex in a 1 gal, the best way to do it is to put a little less than half of a scoop in. I checked with Seachem and this is the instruction they gave to another person. Kanaplex is okay to be overdosed slightly so it's all right if it's not exact.

If you are doing 100% changes, then yes, redose the Kanaplex with each change. In a 1 gal, you can probably get away with only needing to do a 100% change every other day.

If the swelling in his eye doesn't go down, you can up the dosage of epsom salt to 3 tsps per gallon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #3 
freesia

Thank you for replying. Today I already did 100% water change, added 1 tsp./gal Epson salt and Kanaplex. So tomorrow I will increase Epson salt to 3 tsp.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Okay. Good luck with him!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #5 
freesia

Today my Betta is on day 6 of KanaPlex treatment and 3 tsp. Epson salt/gal. Today I received IAL by mail and added to his QT. He is floating on surface and doesn't eat. The eye swelling went down, but still is not back to normal. Seachem recommends treatment of Kanaplex max 3 dosages every other day. Should I stop Kanaplex and do only 3 tsp. Epson salt and IAL? or should I continue Kanaplex however doesn't look that antibiotic is helping. I will appreciate any recommendations…
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 
Sakura8

You can continue with the Kanaplex for at least another 2-3 dosages. It's one of the safer antibiotics if treatment beyond the recommended dosage is required. However, if it continues to have no noticeable effect after 2-3 more dosages, I would stop and give him some time in just epsom salt and IAL. After that, you may want to try giving him daily baths in methylene blue. Supposedly, this is a very effective treatment for ammonia poisoning, which might be what your guy is suffering from.

Beware when using methylene blue, as it stains everything it touches. To treat him using a high strength bath, you would mix up a solution of 1 tsp in 3 gallons of dechlorinated water. Place him in this mixture for 10 seconds twice a day for maybe 3 days.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #7 
callistra

Kanaplex is one of the harsher antibiotics on the kidneys so despite seachem's instructions I would not overdose.. based on personal experience I've seen my betta nose dive on a less than perfect dose.. and since bloating could be kidney related..

2 weeks on the Kanaplex is all I'd do, but it should be safe there. Dose every 2nd day as it says, or if you're doing 100% changes add a full dosage.

Can you show a picture of the SBD? I would keep his bottom bare and check to see what his poop look likes If there is a true infection my best luck with it has been the metro soaked pellets... if he is pine coning at all I would feed asap... otherwise I would do as suggested above and finish at least a full week on Kanaplex then continue epsom salt until the bloat subsides.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Fortunately, the little guy isn't bloating. Kanaplex is easily absorbed by the kidneys so it is effective in treating bacterial infections in the kidneys, a common cause of dropsy. But yes, it can also damage the kidneys with overuse. However, I've seen bettas who have been on Kanaplex for a month with no ill effects. As regards to dosing, it is one of the more forgiving but the dosage still needs to be within the ballpark. I believe Kanaplex is safe to use for extended periods of time at the correct dosage but I would never advise anyone to double the dosage or anything like that.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 
freesia

I should provide more information. First thing in the morning 6 days ago, I noticed his eye, that was really huge and looked like could burst anytime and he couldn’t keep perfectly balance. He was slightly bent to left when swimming. He ate at that time. But mainly his eye scared me a lot. The water was not changed when I was away and some plants – like the cabomba were messy and decaying; it made me believe that he had bacterial infection. I quarantined him, and put Kanaplex in QT. On next day he was floating completely on his side on surface, stopped swimming and just laid on his side. Few times he tried to get to bottom of QT, but it looked like some invisible force pulls him up. So I thought that maybe he also was overfed and has problem with swim bladder. Also I didn’t notice poops.
I did 100% water change + Kanaplex + Epson salt (1tsp/gal.) Next day: 100% water change + Kanaplex + increased Epsom salt to 3 tsp/gal. as was suggested.
Because his health deteriorated very fast, I thought maybe 100% water changes were too stressful to him. So I did every other day 100% water change, + Kanaplex + 3 tsp. Epsom salt. Before yesterday I received Indian Almond Leaves and put them to his QT.

He floats on his left side on top of water. Moves a bit on his side, he is week and doesn’t eat at all. Practically there is no improvement in his health, beside that swollen eye that went down. He is bloated overall. Because of floating on surface, problem with balance, not to be able to move to bottom of QT and not pooping, I made assumption of swim bladder disease. I am novice, so forgive me my theories.
But If it is bacterial infection why doesn't Kanaplex work? I thought that Kanaplex is the best broad spectrum antibiotic available on market…
Anyway, I will do what you recommend, to keep him for second week on Kanaplex and 3 tsp. Epsom salt + IAL. Hopefully he will get better...
Attached pictures are made from top view.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #10 
freesia

more pictures:
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/12150265964-1327600365-77933/