Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

OK guys. Favorite plants

OK guys. I'm doing a poll to find your top three easy care low light aquarium plants are.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Anacharis, Hornwort and Pennywort (only had the Pennywort in the tank a week now so far so good, seeing how it likes my light and if it will get enough since its on the bottom of the tank)
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

Also, what about the moss and java fern covered driftwood? Do you guys love that?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #4 
deso

Anubias petite (not the normal "anubias nana"), fissidens fontanus moss and the aquatic fern Bolbitis Heudelotii would have to be my favourites. Bolbitis is a little more complex in its needs than java fern or mosses, but I've heard of people having success with it in low-tech tanks. Mine is growing pretty well, but I've got 16 watts per gallon and am now dosing ferts + Excel daily, so I wouldn't really consider my tank truly low-maintenance anymore.

Not a huge fan of java moss, though. Unless carefully trimmed and taken care of, it usually ends up looking like a big lumpy green tumbleweed.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post

Not a huge fan of java moss, though. Unless carefully trimmed and taken care of, it usually ends up looking like a big lumpy green tumbleweed.
ditto, i find it very messy.

my faves are anubias tied to wood or rock, hornwort floating or anchored and anacharis floating or anchored. i also love water lettuce and duckweed.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

Awesome. I have a good sized empty tank and a massive hunk of drift wood laying around so I'm gonna make a bunch of plant/moss covered driftwood chunks and sell them off cheap when they are filled out. They will be no less than 7" in length and likely 3"-4" in width. This particular chunk is African driftwood.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #7 
aemaki09

I have only had plants for a week, 4 different species (till the rest arrive in the mail)
but my favorites out of the 4 are frogbit for a floater, and anarchis planted, they grow sooooo fast!! I have had to trim my anarchis already!
I also have a few aquatic banana plants along with a bunch of rotala indica stems, the banana's seem to be thriving although a little fragile, and the rotala indica is something i would not ever suggest to a beginner, I learned my lesson the hard way, it is growing quite well, but planting it is so hard, its a very fragile plant and is thin so if you have gravel it is hard to keep it from floating back to the surface.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote