Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #1 
DoctorWhoLuver

Exclamation Dropsy :'(

Martha has dropsy now... I don't have epsom salt and I can't get it until tomorrow, because all stores near me are closed at the moment. I only have Aquarium Salt and maple leaves. She's not moving and very bloated. The scales are already pineconing, I think it may be caused by internal parasites because she had stringy, white poop. I'm really desperate and I've had her for quite a while. I really don't want to lose her.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am so sorry to hear poor martha has dropsy I am so sorry to give you the bad news but they rarely survive dropsy, I have lost several bettas to it in the past, it can be hereditary. The only success I have had with treatment is using doxycycline antibiotics but you would need to get them from a vet or certified person. Even then the fish was never the same and it really only prolonged his life for a few months and needed regular treatments. I have tried the salts with no successs but if it is all you can get then anything is worth a go. Dropsy is such a terrible thing, every betta owner dreads it, good luck with poor martha and keep me updated on her condition Good luck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

Thank you so much for you help. I knew treating dropsy would be a hopeless act, but I hoped by some miracle that she would have survived. She was one of the few fish that survived the columnaris outbreak earlier in the year, and I had hoped she would survive this strange parasite infection... When she died, she was completely washed and looked like she had internal bleeding (she had a huge splotch of red *in* her belly). I feel like I'm going to miss her a lot, I couldn't stop crying when I saw her scales begin pinecone; my cousins thought I was crazy that I was so attached to a fish... Unfortunately, she passed about 2 hours ago... Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #4 
PinkGuava

Sorry to hear about your betta.
PinkGuava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am so sorry to hear that you lost poor Martha, dropsy is a betta lovers nightmare, I also like to try to treat them on the off chance that something might help or at least make them a bit more comfortable. The red blotch is quite common as well as a pale washed out look when it comes to dropsy. It is actually the fact that the swelling causes the kidneys to fail that kills them. The swelling is just fluid under the skin. Don't worry about what your cousins think, if you are upset about your betta getting sick/dying it just shows that you are a wonderful caring person. Bettas have a way of touching our hearts, they are such lovely little individuals and when they interact with you so much it is almost impossible not to get attached to them. If you decide to get another betta, let me know I would love to see him/her
Old 11-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #6 
DoctorWhoLuver

Thanks guys :) I'm going to miss her:( and I buried her under an avacado tree.
@veggiegirl- that's very interesting, ah well learn something new every day. I feel so guilty now... I got not one, but three bettas. I was going to get more today anyways since I had the extra room and bettas are so addicting! When I was at pectoral last week, the three were there. So I brought them home today. Two of them were babies, so i didn't know how long they would've survived back there. One of them had a similar appearance and temperament of Martha too <3
Thanks a ton or your help
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #7 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

So sorry about Martha but sounds like you gave her a nice burial in the garden. So you got three new bettas!!!!! Hey we've all done it bettas are soooooo addictive lol. You will so have to post some pics of your new fish so we can meet themlol. Nice to hear you got one similar to Martha too No problem, always happy to help, just wish there was a miracle cure I could have told you for Dropsy, don't know if there ever will be though, until then all we can do is our best by our little finned friends.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #8 
DoctorWhoLuver

Thanks a lot :) I just posted a few pics of the guys/gal in the picture section :)
( I think they're guys XD)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #9 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
Martha has dropsy now... I don't have epsom salt and I can't get it until tomorrow, because all stores near me are closed at the moment. I only have Aquarium Salt and maple leaves. She's not moving and very bloated. The scales are already pineconing, I think it may be caused by internal parasites because she had stringy, white poop. I'm really desperate and I've had her for quite a while. I really don't want to lose her.
:( Dropsy is caused my kidney failure due to bacteria

Last edited by Setsuna; 11-24-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Setsuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #10 
DoctorWhoLuver

It was sad :'(
I've read that dropsy has many causes, some unknown. And that bacteria is one of them.