Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding my betta

677 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  indjo 
#1 ·
hello i am new to this group i have 8 bettas 1 female 6 males and 1 baby which is sex is unknown yet. i tried to breed my female grace with one of my males " fire" and they just ignore each other. he had a nest and she had her strips but no communication what so ever they have been seperated but what can i do to get them to breed??

#2 ·
What kind of bettas are you breeding ? What size aquarium are you using? Do you have food for the fry? Do you know there can be as many to 300 babies? Do you have jars for all the males when they are grown up? Do you have a grow out tank? Do have homes for that many fry? I don't know if I got all the essentials but if you are breeding pet store fish do they might be older and not have a very strong interest cause they are old... Hope this helps:)

#4 ·
A 5 gallon for breeding or for grow out???

#6 ·
As long as you have plans and goals plus understand what it takes to rear them - breeding VT is Ok.
You will need 10g or larger for your grow out. Unless you only have a few fry.

Keep both male and female in solitary (not divided), out of sight from other bettas. Flare male daily about 5 - 15 minutes. Use mirrors to flare your female (you only have 1 female). Feed them frozen or live foods for about 2 weeks. By the end of their conditioning period, they should be very active. Don't breed those that hardly move.

Place the male in the breeding tank. Float the female and see how they react. If they're swimming all over the tank/jar in a wriggly fashion, then they are willing to breed. Dark colored females will show light colored vertical stripes (not dark colored horizontal stripes).

Since it's their first attempt, keep female floating for 2-3 days. This should reduce possible injuries to female. If she shows submission, head down - release her, though it hasn't been 3 days. They should "follow the leader", swimming in an "S" style. Then let them do their thing.

Read the stickies and ask as many questions as you can think of.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.