Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #1 
Gadstrike08

Betta Wont Eat

I recently bought a new betta and it wont eat any of the food i bought it...is it sick or will getting a different type of food help fix the problem..

Any suggestions??
Gadstrike08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #2 
Zule

Bettas are notorious for being picky eaters. What kind of food are you feeding him? Brand?
Zule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #3 
Gadstrike08

betta bites

They are called betta bites by HBH, any ideas on how to get him to eat i dont want him to die? and he hasnt been eating at all...
Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #4 
okiemavis

You could try a live food like brine shrimp, or a frozen food, as it's way tastier. Bettas are predators so they like meaty stuff! The more it resembles real food, the better, especially if it runs away :D

Once you've got him eating you can start getting him used to easier food, but since he's new he's probably stressed out right now and may need something extra.

Also, what are your water parameters? Temperature? Is he active and happy seeming other than the eating?
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #5 
Gadstrike08

The water temperature is room temp. He swims around like he is happy. He seems to be eating his food and then spitting it back up. what does this mean??
Old 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #6 
okiemavis

It's quite possible that you are over feeding him. Perhaps he is eating the first one and then spitting out additional pellets? Fish often can't resist the urge to strike at food, even when they are full, so they strike and spit. Have you tried feeding different food? Fish do much better with a wide range of food, just like humans.

Also, bettas really enjoy 80F+ temperatures. Have you considered getting a heater? I think you'd notice an enjoyable change in personality.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #7 
studioskim3

i think ur betta will be okay... i researched that bettas are picky eaters, as someone said, and they will starve themselves... my newest betta that I purchased from a local petstore (evil places) and he wouldn't eat... I thought maybe he was stressed... so I kept giving him a pellet, and he would chew it then spit it back, and this kept going for every meal for the next 4/5 days... then I stopped giving him pellets altogether for 2 days, and the next time i fed him, he ate all the pellets that I gave him (3) then the next meal (3). mayb ur betta will get accustomed.
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #8 
kevinoh33

when i got my betta, this happened to me also. the betta would attack the food and spit it back out. try giving him live or frozen brine shrimp. i gave mine live brine shrimp and it loved it. at it like a pig manners these days.... anyway, the next day he ate his pellet food which was hikari betta bio-gold.

oh yeah only give the brine shrimp as a treat. maybe onece or twice a day. frquently giving him brine shrimp may give him constipation
kevinoh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #9 
SST

I think Kevin meant once or twice a week for the brine shrimp, not once or twice a day.

I feed mine pellets daily. I substitute freeze dried bloodworms once or twice a week and I've recently discovered he likes flake food, so I've been adding that once in a while. And every week or two, he misses a meal or two (no longer than 24 hours) to fast and clear his system.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #10 
kevinoh33

oops SST is right. one or twice a week
kevinoh33 is offline   Reply With Quote