Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #1 
Aside

To all those rescuers out there

I've been reading many touching stories about bettas rescued from poor condition from pet stores. I think this is wonderful but it seems uncharacteristic to me for pet stores to simply give fish away (even if it is clearly in the best interest of the fish).

So here is my question to you. How did you approach the employees and how did they respond?

Call it professional curiosity. Even if I found a fish to rescue I know I'd just buy him/her because I'd be to uncomfortable to talk to anyone about it, but I am curious as to how the exchanges went down.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Well, I attempted to "rescue" a Betta from Petsmart but the "aquarist" said they couldn't let the fish go because it was unhealthy. So next time I think what I'll do is take it the check out counter, point out its health issues & ask to see the manager; say this Betta is poor health & most likely wont live would you be willing to let me take it home & see if I can save him or her? The manager will either say yes or no. I'd approach it just like I did when I bought my 46g bow front & got an additional 30% off the sale price because of minor damage on the stand & when I got a $30 dollar decoration for 1/2 off because it was damaged. All you do is point out the faults & see what they say.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #3 
bryanacute

I need to try that. I also need to point out of some of the rocks have jagged edges (which they sell).
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Yeah I've seen that too on some of the deco's but I also remember that they're not just for Bettas so I just check the items I purchase for rough spots.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #5 
xShainax

I paid for my rescues. The manages wouldn't let me get them for free
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #6 
bryanacute

Oh. Some people say they look good to me
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #7 
Aside

thanks for the responses guys. I bet a lot of it probably depends on where you live. Around where I'm from I get dirty looks if I ask for extra ketchup at McDonalds
Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #8 
meganlbetta

OH NO! NOT EXTRA KETCHUP!! haha thats funny, its mcdonalds, i'm sure they can afford it haha
meganlbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 
Aside

I know, right?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #10 
Viva

Just speak to someone in a management position as the other employees can't make those kinds of decisions. I've never had this experience but if they get the feeling you are there to indeed save the fish (and not just take it for free to feed to a larger fish or something) then they most likely will let you take it for free.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote