Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #1 
pinkpinkpink

betta reflection and scales and filter please help thanks

it seems like my betta is seeing his reflection in any container hes in, on every wall of the tank. i had him in a 1.5g round vase, &all day nonstop he'd just circle around the tank&dart frequently at the glass&sometimes darted were the gravel&tank wall meet(meaning his head would probably be hitting). it seems exactly what bettas do when flaring, but he would'nt flare his gills out, he just did the movements on the glass w/o puffing gills. he's not adult yet so i thought maybe he didn't know how to flare yet or something cause he seemed pretty aggressive to the point where i was worried for his safety but it seemed odd that he would act that way w/o flaring.he would go at it so much that hed go up for air&sit at the top of the tank for a little to rest& thengo straight back at it again. i tried every lighting i could possibly change&i cant cover tank sides w/paper cause its every wall of the tank. i didnt have much decoration in the 1.5g meaning not much distraction from walls&i thought since the container wasnt meant specifically for fish, that it might've reflected more than a normal tank. i ended up getting a 5.5g rectangle tank cause i thought space and filter, etc.. would be better for him anyway&wanted to see if reflection stopped&i could add more distractions.hes been in there for about 24 hours now w/no filter on for the majority of the time cause the current is too strong for him no matter what i use to help the flow. last night i added 3 types of plants in the 5.5. i separated the bundles into 4 to five smaller plants from 2 of the bundles&one bundle was a single plant. they are scattered around the tank, but more "dense" in some areas so he could sleep or hide, which I'm unsure he does either of those. it looks somewhat planted&pretty covered that he could play in then instead of the walls&i have a flower decoration that has a butterfly over it from petsmart that he could kindof go inside of if he wanted. sadly hes still chasing his "reflection" in the 5.5&pays no attention to much else but food. everything else seems healthy as for his looks, except i think from nuzzling&rubbing the glass&where the glass&gravel meet for about 5 days straight, he looks like he rubbed off the iridescence from his head :(. i came home today&saw him flare for the first time at the outside part of the filter hanging on the back since its still in place(confirming he can flare), probably because its black&there was more reflection, so i covered it&he went back to circling the tank,darting at glass but w/o flaring again but acting like he is flaring in every other way. I'm not sure what to do about this cause i want him to be happy in his own tank but anything he is in he will dart at the container walls&i know a 5.5 gallon tank for just him&some plants should be more than enough room for him. i dont know how that could be safe or if he will rub off scales&be prone to infection. theres no heater but i live in southern california&the natural temp in the tank is about 75-77 but i plan on getting one for winter if it affects the water in the tank. has anyone had this problem before? will he adjust to it and it could be from having a new home (got him 5 days ago)? also has anyone tried the aquaclear 20 filter? i have the topfin 10 that came with the 5.5g&current pushes him all around&he gets stress stripes even with the water bottle trick, a pre filter, &stuff in the part that holds water to be flowed out. thank you for reading i know this is very long& confusing i appreciate any answers
pinkpinkpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have the same tank, take the pre filter, cut it to fit inside the intake arm & that'll work. I cut 2 pieces that fill,the section with "grid" but don't stuff it too compact. Only fill the water to just below the outflow so the water drops down like a water fall. As for the darting, are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates since its a new tank? I would get some cave structures they will give him calm areas to get inside of if he needs to. I have the deco, flower with butterfly, but I don't have it in any of my tanks at the moment, it doesn't offer much hiding or anything. My little guy in my 5.5 doesn't dart but he is constantly moving. Are you sure he doesn't have any parasites like Ich or velvet?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #3 
pinkpinkpink

so you cut up the pre filter and put it inside the tube that sucks in water from the tank to reduce intake? i have the water bottle on with cloth material inside where the water flows out of and the prefilter on how its supposed to be on and it barely helps the flow at all! i was looking into the aqua clear20 but id rather not spend the money if i dont have to. does yours limit the flow a lot by cutting up the prefilter or just a little? my poor betta gets flown around but he's so determined so see his reflection he tries to swim the current. i am thinkin of getting a cave for him i may put in a cup temporarily to see if that will help him. i worried that hes exhausted from frantically swimming and darting around for 5 days!! it doesnt seem like he wants to hide much though because with he filter on he doesn't try to hide in plants or anything and he doesnt even pay attention to anything in his tank other than the walls when hes darting around. I'm most worried about the scales on his face or even his eyes because hes darting and rubbing against the walls so much, and him becoming too tired i hope he gets used to his new tank and swims happily and normally soon.

Last edited by pinkpinkpink; 11-29-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: pics didnt work
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #4 
pinkpinkpink

pictures uploaded on my profile can't get them to work in post&my prof pic now as well

Last edited by pinkpinkpink; 11-29-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

It limited it a lot. I had the water bottle baffle but the filter cover wouldn't stay in place with it & it still seemed too much for the 5.5. So I cut 2 strips of the pre filter & stuffed down into the grid tube. When I first did it I stuffed it down too much & it baffled it too much so I loosened it up & it works like a champ. My little guy has no problems. You may have to play around with it a little bit to get it how you want it, I had to do 3 or 4 times until I was happy with it. I'd up load a video or pic but I'm on my iPad. I'll see if I can upload it tomorrow.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 
pinkpinkpink

i just have realized that he looks like theres something right above his gills maybe. i thought he had rubbed off his iridescence and that area didnt get rubbed off but now it looks like that may be something like fungus bacteria or ich or something. i have a video im not sure how to post it though if possible

Tags
darting, flaring, reflection, scales