TFK Moderator

You breeding Bettas Soady?
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #12 
soady

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
That's good. :) Wait... are you planning on housing the female and the male together?
Yes, I do plan to keep them in the same bowl. I separated them at first because my bowl was empty (no decorations, places to hide...) and the female's condition was bad because of the pet store conditions so she got her tail nipped by the male. She recovered fast and I tried putting it back with the male but he didn't do so well so she was flaring at him. Needles to say I separated them again until he gets better... Which is now. I will give him more time on his own until I get everything I need in case they decide to mate. I can't help but notice that you don't like the idea of them being together. Why? There are plenty of places for her to hide around the plant (it's a plastic plant that is placed at the center of the bowl and goes all the way to just under the surface of the water). I don't think it will be a problem, though, since when they've been together he kept making bubble nests and didn't really hurt her (she was in a really poor condition then, I think she is bigger than the male now). Any advice on how I should re-introduce them would be nice. :) His bowl is right next to her jar so they can see each other all day (should I separate them for a while before I put them back together?). They are really happy, active and they eat well. I kinda trained them to recognize the food container opening and I always spin the cover plate like a coin before I feed them. They go crazy! Like a dog jumping left and right waiting to throw him the ball. :D The male likes to follow my finger around the bowl. I will write about how they are doing once I put them back together, in a week or two maybe...
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #13 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
You breeding Bettas Soady?
I will once I am ready and have everything I need...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #14 
soady

Smile

These are the latest pictures I took showing you how my male betta is healing and also showing you my female betta which is completely healthy.

I also took a photo of their "natural habitat". The jar is a temporary solution but she doesn't seem to mind at all. I plan on keeping them together.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

ok, have fun
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #16 
DoctorWhoLuver

Where, may I ask, did you get the information on breeding bettas and keeping them together?
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #17 
Phaydra

The reason this is a bad idea is because males and females are aggressive with each other. Only females can be housed together and only some of them at that. You are going to stress both Bettas and if by some miracle one doesn't kill the other, it will leave them weak to sickness. If the bowl in your picture is the planned housing that is not adequate for 2 bettas. I strongly recommend you rethink your housing plan. If you still want to house them in the same tank get a 5 gallon at the least and divide it. A 10 gallon cycled would be preferable. I also strongly recommend you rethink breeding till you have the all the equipment you need and more experience with Bettas in general.

Excuse me if I come off a bit brash but this is a disaster that can be prevented if you are willing to take advice from the Betta lovers this site contains.

Last edited by Phaydra; 11-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #18 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
Where, may I ask, did you get the information on breeding bettas and keeping them together?
I watched many breeding videos and read tons of breeding advices on the Internet. I have also read a lot about keeping a female and a male betta together and opinions vary and so do the bettas. Some get along and some don't. I certainly won't keep them together if they fight. In that case, I'll get another bowl and keep them next to each other. I will post results on how it went once I do it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #19 
DoctorWhoLuver

I agree with Phaydra it's a bad idea, even for breeding. That is not an adequate tank. Have you even been conditioning?
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #20 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
The reason this is a bad idea is because males and females are aggressive with each other. Only females can be housed together and only some of them at that. You are going to stress both Bettas and if by some miracle one doesn't kill the other, it will leave them weak to sickness. If the bowl in your picture is the planned housing that is not adequate for 2 bettas. I strongly recommend you rethink your housing plan. If you still want to house them in the same tank get a 5 gallon at the least and divide it. A 10 gallon cycled would be preferable. I also strongly recommend you rethink breeding till you have the all the equipment you need and more experience with Bettas in general.

Excuse me if I come off a bit brash but this is a disaster that can be prevented if you are willing to take advice from the Betta lovers this site contains.
I keep repeating that I plan to breed them once I am ready and have everything I need. I will try to put them together once my male fully recovers from clamped fins. I will observe their behavior and separate them if they don't get along, I wouldn't do anything that would hurt them. From what I've seen so far, he usually swims at the side of the bowl where my female betta is and he doesn't flare at all, he just seems anxious to be with her. I do not intent to keep them together at any cost, but I will give it a try. Thank you for your concern but do not worry, I won't let them hurt each other. :)

Tags
betta fins glued cold