Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #1 
stellar981

Thumbs up I'm at a loss....

My betta again is floating on the top of the tank. This is the third time. Each time I just wait a day or two without feeding. Normally within the first few hrs of noticing him floating, he is back to normal. Leading me to believe its constipation and he must have pooped. Well I'm getting frustrated. It doesn't help that I am currently dealing with a sick bird also whom I cannot figure out what's wrong with. Healthy for years and wham, out of no where I may lose her. So being I am new to fish and so upset about this bird, I am at a loss. I don't know what to do. It's a bad first start for me as far as fish keeping. I was considering getting a second betta, but I am so frustrated I've changed my mind for the time being.

Some background..... Had him two weeks now. He's has this issue three times. I thought maybe it was the food. Had him on tetra plus betta and switched him to omega one buffet due to better ingredients and higher recommendation. After i did that this all started. So the second time it happened I waited the two days and then today fed him two tetra plus pellets. Thought maybe it was the food. Nope he's on the top again tonite. His water was just changed last night (10 gal, currently cycling). Params are fine temp is steady near 80. What the heck am I doing wrong?????? Please excuse my ranting and mood. I am so upset and frustrated by everything. I don't deal with sickness well.
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #2 
Luimeril

i had a boy that would float after every water change, or if i fed him too often. i fixed it by feeding him every other day, and limiting his water changes. x-x have you tried that out? x: feeding every other day? he could be gulping too much air when you feed him, too. Twitch does that. 8I i feed him pellet by pellet now.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i had a boy that would float after every water change, or if i fed him too often. i fixed it by feeding him every other day, and limiting his water changes. x-x have you tried that out? x: feeding every other day? he could be gulping too much air when you feed him, too. Twitch does that. 8I i feed him pellet by pellet now.
I have only had him two weeks. At first I was able to feed him three pellets am, two afternoon and 2 evening. Did fine on that for almost a week. When this started i fasted him a day or two then tried only two. Never got to a second feeding in the evening. Cuz he'd be floating again in the evening. So basically he is getting 2 pellets every 2-3 days.
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

try a smaller feeding. like 1 pellet .

then feed him another pellet again at night.

some bettas are floaty bloaty prone unfortunately.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote