Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #1 
beabaserrrr

My tank & filter..

I just bought one of those generic "betta mini tanks." It is 2.5 gallons and comes with a divider so I can put two bettas in it. Anyway, I have it all set up, I have a little 50W heater andddd the only thing I am concerned about is the filter. I know I will have to do water changes anyway, but this thing came with an under gravel filter. I just do not get how the thing works - is this going to be enough for them?

By the way, is 2.5 gallons enough for two?
beabaserrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:18 AM   #2 
herefishy
Banned

The betta tank is ideal for (1) betta and no more. Weekly, sometimes more often, water change are the norm. The undergravel filter is run by an air pump.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #3 
beabaserrrr

I know it is run by an air pump, I just don't understand how it is filtering.

There is no carbon or anything at all...
Old 02-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #4 
Oldman47

The undergravel filter has 2 kinds of filter media. It has gravel that filters out a lot of the solid stuff and it has gravel that provides a place for the nitrogen converting bacteria to grow. The gravel is in contact with lots of oxygen rich water because of the circulation of water down through the gravel so the bacteria do pretty well. The only thing that it is missing is the chemical filter that other filters use carbon for.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #5 
okiemavis

To clarify what ghreed was saying- there are three kinds of filtration; mechanical, biological and chemical.

Mechanical is the part that filter out the visible dirt. Any gunk floating in the water will get caught up in the gravel and not continue to recirculate in the tank. Biological is arguabley the most important. There is bacteria that builds up in every fish tank that feeds on the waste of the fish. They break down this fish waste so that it is not dangerous for the fish. Chemical filtration is done through things like activated carbon. It also breaks down fish waste, only once the chemical runs out, it is no longer effective. I don't use carbon in my filters because I feel it is unnecessary. It has to be replaced every 2-4 weeks and I already have the other 2 kinds of filtration, which is plenty.

As for how many bettas to keep in the tank, 1 is really the max. The standard rule for fish keeping is 1 inch per gallon. As bettas grow to be 2.5 inches long, and the tank is 2.5 gallons, this tank is just large enough for one fish.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #6 
herefishy
Banned

Oh, you wish to understand the process...... D'uh!! lol

Air is lifted up the lift tubes causing a flow of water. The displaced water comes from under the filter plate. That water comes from the tank, being drawn down through the gravel and bio-bed removing particles and ammonia. It's just a big circle. That is why, when doing water changes, it is best to sweep the gravel from time to time. That keeps the substrate clear and prevents it from compacting.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #7 
beabaserrrr

Thank you, everyone!

I just wanted to make sure I had proper filtration... I'm really big into marine aquariums... I have a 150g and a 72g and it isn't anything like having a freshwater 2.5g.

I think my new crowntail betta is going to be very happy in his new home.