Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #11 
GhostFeather

I don't have room for barracks,so here is what I do.
A 6' long table(I have 2 right now),the long plastic containers(like you keep spare cloths in)I can fit 2-3 on each table,a heater large enough to heat the water.
Fill the plastic containers with water just enough to cover the heater by a few inches.
Get as many 32oz deli containers as will fit in the plastic container you use,now double that.
Take 1/2 the deli containers and put holes around the bottom and up the side a little ways.
Leave the other deli containers just like they are.
Fill the 2nd containers with aged water,put the ones with holes inside the deli containers inside the other ones,put your betta in it.
Now,get the same amount of deli containers,the ones that don't have holes in them,fill them with aged water.
When it is time to do water changes,pull you deli container out(the one with the holes and your betta,place it in a clean cup,dump the water out of the old one,refill,and you are ready for the next water change.
Lucky for me,I work in a resteraunt so I can get deli containers fairly cheap!
I partition the cups with cardboard so the can't see each other,pull the cardboard out so the can flare now and again.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #12 
aemaki09

That is a great idea...I would absolutely love to see pictures if you wouldnt mind posting them??
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

What awesome ideas! I'm glad to see people being very innovated. I will probably end up grabbing some deli containers I have well over 200 fry, so it won't be long until I will have to separate a LOT of them!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #14 
aemaki09

I dont have any yet. My spawn attempts keep failing...but hopefully after I condition this next pair I want to try ill have some!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #15 
Myates

I do similar to Ghostfeather - I have 32oz deli containers (and some extra glass jars).. I place them into the biggest that I can find rubber container storage that is less than a foot in depth. Fill it partially with water and put the containers in there (filled with water too).. currently using a 100w adjustable heater in the middle, as anything smaller I'm having issues keeping the water warm.

All of these tubs are on industrialized stands that are 3 shelves and approx 4.5ft tall.

This is also a way that I am currently holding some of my breeders in - small kritter keepers and 1.5g glass jars.. add in a bit of plants (hornwort) into the deli cups and breeder keepers to help keep the water clean in between water changes (paranoid about water quality in them lol).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler

My bf will be making stands to hold my fish He is a welder/construction person so his stuff is made to last.

I wonder if using those plastic cups used for drinking would work the same? The bigger ones of course. (bwaha Red Solo Cup came into my head... not that I would use those.)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #17 
aemaki09

As long as they have a lid and are roomy they could probably work
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Hmm, alright. May need to make lids (cardboard, plastic, etc I can do it ;) ) I need about 200 to be safe (unless all are males)... And cannot find any except the really really small ones.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #19 
aemaki09

You can get deli containers if you have like a Vostok, gfs, or samsclub around you. They come with lids and in all sizes. That's what a lot of people seem to use
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #20 
BettaFx

the safest is a seperate container at least 2L container i would keep the water low as breeding tank and gradually raise it as the depth of the water will not stress him out. barracks i would not risk personally only because the open wounds can lead to bacterial infection and you would not want other fish infected
BettaFx is offline   Reply With Quote