Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #1 
SparklE fin

Post How to make a hammock for a betta that won't tear it's fins or wear off

This is for a nice little hammock for your betta that won't tear his fins, wont wear off, is inert, obviously wont rust and keep him at the waters surface.*
What you need;*
1 styrofoam cup
1 pair of scissors*
A handful or two of smooth gravel or marbles.*

Directions
1) Cut the styrofoam cup in half. If you see pieces of styrofoam come off, start rubbing the edges until it all. Comes off or you may need to use another piece. If all of the cups has it coming off, you may need another brand or if you want to chance your betta may eat it

2) Put one or both halves into the tank

3) Start adding your marbles or gravel carefully and evenly until it reaches the depth in the water that'd you like. Shorter depth keeps the warmth in betta (Get it? Betta-better) and deeper has more wiggle room for sororities. But most of all, make sure your betta(s) can move around freely and can easily get out

4) If you have a current, if you stick it in the corner it usually stays. Or you can have tall plants keep it in place. Or whatever you can think of.*

The credit for this masterpiece is from a website that I visited a long time ago. If you remember what it's called or the web address is please post it.*
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #2 
Neight

Wow, thank you for this! I was about to go buy a leaf hammock, but given that it's a few dollars I don't have to spend, I think I'll be doing this! Very helpful!
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #3 
callistra

I'd be afraid they'd try to eat bits of the styrofoam like a pellet and have a real problem..

There are some broad leaf silk plants out there that if you size them to your tank depth work just like the leaf hammock. I have this one: http://www.petlanddiscounts.com/deta...duct_id=483886 Those big leaves lay out flat right on the surface of the water.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote