Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #1 
Dmsantana

How to clean used tanks!???

I aquired a ten gallon tank that was full of old sand and gravel and everthing out. I am cleaning it out with HOT water really good is that enough or should I do something more?
Dmsantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #2 
sainthogan

You can use vinegar or bleach, both diluted with plenty of water (a spray bottle with 1 part vinegar or bleach to 5 parts water works well). Dry well with paper towel (or cloth that has never been washed with detergent or treated with chemicals) and let it sit empty for several days. Some say to let it sit in the sunshine for a few days, but I'm not sure if that part is necessary or not. Personally, I would think that vinegar is safer to use than bleach in case of any residue, but many people here use bleach and have no problems.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #3 
Gryphon

I'm a huge fan of white vinegar to clean tanks. It cleans like crazy and leaves no residue, just make sure to rinse well. If there is any left behind for some reason, it won't harm your fish.

Usually if I clean with vinegar, I don't let it dry out naturally, I just wipe it dry and call it good. I've never had a problem with anything popping up.

I know some other people use regular bleach (not scented) to clean. Again, just remember to rinse well and with bleach add an extra dose of dechlorinator to make sure there is nothing left.

Just make sure nothing you use has other cleaning agents or other chemicals added.

Also, I you didn't mention if the tank had been used recently or not. I'd suggest doing a 24 hour leak test to make sure it holds water fine. Sometimes old silicone will dry out and when it resaturates it doesn't form a complete seal. If this happens, it is pretty easy to reseal a tank though, most fish places sell aquarium sealant.

Last edited by Gryphon; 11-28-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: I can't spell. :-)
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote