Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #1 
emeraldmaster

Exclamation Torn Fins

About two months ago, my CT got into a fight with my largest Rosey Red, Nana. The results were that she lost every fin and he lost every single ray extension that he had. Since then i have managed to actually save Nana, but Red has only grown back 3 extensions. After a terrible swing with Swim Bladder Disorder, my fault, i began to notice a darkening around the edges of his fins. Naturally i freaked out, figuring that i bought the most sickily fish on Earth. Closer inspection revealed that is was a trick of the light. But his fins still refuse to grow back. I am a poor high school student with very little money. I use Oak leaves in the place of IAL. Although he has been cured of his Swim Bladder, he still has trouble swimming every now and then. So i put about 1 teaspoon of NONiodized salt into his tank once a week when i do a water change. His Ph is at 7.7 dispite my only puting pure water with salt into the tank. He is perfectly happy, regularly building bubble nests, dancing for me, etc. But can anyone help me to heal his fins? Remember, i am poor, little acess to anything.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #2 
LittleFish2012

The quickest way to help his fins heal is to buy some sort of medication for him. If you can't afford any, then chances are they'll heal back slowly and naturally.
Make sure the black edges you saw weren't signs of fin rot. Thats never fun to deal with. :(
Also, when you say "noniodized" salt, I get the impression that it's still table salt. I recommend using epsom salt instead. It's rather inexpensive and has properties that are beneficial to betta fish.
Other than that, it sounds like you're doing a fine job of restoring his health. :)
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #3 
emeraldmaster

the salt that i used was a gift from a friend who runs a fish store. he said that the stuff helps to keep away disease, so far... no worky. But it seems to help the other fish, they haven't been sick yet. He told me that IAL will help with the fin issue, but that is hard to get and expensive! Then i learned abouut Oak leaves :) All that i know about the salt though is that it is noniodized. he is the first fish that i have ever owned and it is not going the way that i would have liked.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #4 
emeraldmaster

update... i noticed a small red thing growing where one of his rays were. i flipped out just short of cutting it off. then last night the thing split in the usual crowntail way! it is a new ray, growing back!!!

Tags
betta sick, help please, torn fins