Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #1 
Beckwithbabe

Smile Problem with water temp/room temp help please

So I have 3 2.5 gal tanks all with heaters two have the same brand and one has a different brand. Befor I was able to to keep my tanks regulated at 75+ but now that it has begun to snow here they have all dropped to 70 or so. I could see one for my heaters going out but not all 3 at once and with the Christmas season coming up I don't have the money to up grade my heaters. So I was wondering what can I do to keep the water warm with out changing heaters. Also dad won't turn the furnace up so it would have to be something I could put on my room I was thinking about a floor heater? Any other suggestion would be helpful thank you in advance!!!!!!

P.s I poasted this in betta habitats too but thought I would get more response here

-Liz
Beckwithbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #2 
LunaStars004

Maybe you could get some heating pads and wrap them around the tanks...
Pretty much a way to get the water a bit warmer without spending money is to turn the temperature up in the house.
You could also try to put a lamp/light over the tanks to make the water

Sorry, that is all I know besides having a heater
LunaStars004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

If you have a small room, a space heater works well for heating the room temp and in turn will heat your tanks a little more. Don't put the heater near the tanks, though. I use space heaters and they work quite well in warming an entire room if you have the right kind. However, it may be cheaper to buy three tank heaters off of Amazon or something than it would be to buy one space heater...

Like I said, they work better in small rooms and some are cheaper than others, as long as you DON'T use them to heat your tanks directly. They should only be used to heat the whole room, and should not be placed close to anything, especially not the fish tanks.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

What kind of thermometer are you using? I found that the thermometers that stick on the inside of the glass by a magnet are unreliable because they begin measuring the room temp and not the water temp if your tank isn't thick enough. So maybe your water is actually warm enough but your room is colder which is what the thermometer is picking up on. If that's the kind of thermometer you have, take it off the side of the tank and measure the temp in the middle of the water. Those thermometers that stick on with a suction cup are more reliable because they stay away from the side of the tank.
If it's a non-adjustable heater than I think it only holds the temp a certain number of degrees above room temp. Your room must be freezing! lol. Like someone else mentioned, a space heater would be good.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #5 
ImStillLearning

I was having the same type of issue, and trust me we are much colder here, since winter's here get to -40 and colder quite often. What I did, was move them from the ledge in front of the windows, over to a more centralized spot in the room, so there would be no draft hitting them. So far it appears to be working.
ImStillLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

You could also cover any windows to reduce draft ^ they make this thicker suran wrap type stuff that you can tape around windows. It's not as pretty looking, but it helps insulate the room.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #7 
sainthogan

I'm having the same problem too. I've got the heater in my room running during the day, but since it's our bedroom, I have to turn it down at night so we can sleep. At night, the heaters in the tank are running the whole time and not heating very well. My bedroom is the warmest room in the house (other than the bathroom), so I can't move them to another room. I'm going to try wrapping their tanks at night to insulate them, but I too, can't afford to upgrade the their heaters at the moment. I'm using the Marina preset heaters which are supposed to keep the tanks at 78, but now that it's well below freezing here at night, they are not doing a very good job. The temperature outside during the day is unseasonably warm for us and a good 10 degrees warmer than normal (upper 40's to lower 50's as opposed to upper 30's to lower 40's), so with the heat in my room running and the warm weather outside, daytime is not an issue.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #8 
ImStillLearning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I'm using the Marina preset heaters which are supposed to keep the tanks at 78, but now that it's well below freezing here at night, they are not doing a very good job.
We were thinking about buying those today, but they only had one on shelf and with five tanks I'd rather buy all five in one shop.

Are they not that good?

Anyone else have suggestions on good heaters to buy?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #9 
ImStillLearning

Yeah I thought about that Ayala but I'm a little anal retentive about the way things look. Therefore moving them over to a more centralized area of the room was an easy fix! Thank you though.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #10 
logisticsguy

Yeah I bought one of those presets. They really only raise the temp about 3-6 C degrees over room temp if that. I much prefer the ones you can control as some rooms are warmer than others and this is Canada after all. Get an adjustable 25 w for smaller tanks imo. Never will I buy a preset again.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote