Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Exclamation Transferring bettas - need to know quick!

So we're about 2 hours from home right now and we were at stores looking for fish supplies and I found this beautiful crowntail that I couldn't say no to so how do I get him back home (2 hour drive) safely? He is still in his cup. Thanks!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

You just drive him home with you in the cup. They were probably transported to the store in the cup, if not a little plastic bag. Just keep him out of the sunlight, don't make your car too warm or too cold, and don't let the water slosh around too much.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #3 
meiperfectneina19

well you drive him home. I don't think it will be bad for him unless your car is freezing inside.
meiperfectneina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #4 
fgradowski

Yes. Just drive him. My Algernon had to endure the 3 hour drive to my hometown for Thanksgiving break. Then he had to endure it again for the trip back to college. He will be fine.
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

They gave me a paper bag to put the cup in. I have him in that and it helps to keep the water more still I think. I've just never had to transport a fish this far! I wouldn't want to do something wrong. My car is small and heats/cools fast and I really have no way of knowing the temp but he's insulated by the paper bag and it's not cold in here.

Thanks, guys! I'm a worrywart lol
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #6 
jeanclaudeasher

If the cup fits in one of your cars cup holders you can put his cup in that and then turn the paper bag upside down over to help insulate him, that way you wont have to worry about the cup sliding around on the seat in the bag.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks everyone! He made it! :)

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #8 
Xeek

Just for anyone else that looks here... I always keep a shoe box in my car in case I buy a betta. I can't seem to stop buying them, especially the females when I find a unique one. I put the shoe box with the betta cup in the front base board.... The back of vehicles tends to be more bumpy then the front. That's true with a lot of vehicles except more sporty or luxury cars that tend to be weight balanced. Sometimes the cups dont have enough water. I prefer the cups more then half full so the fish has plenty of vertical space when the water sloshes.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, I did ask the employee to change part of his water and fill it more than half full before I bought him. His water had a lot of visible particles sitting at the bottom.

And I wasn't driving, so I was able to hold the bag up to help with the sloshing.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #10 
meiperfectneina19

aww what a cutie1 congrats and happy he made the trip.
meiperfectneina19 is offline   Reply With Quote