Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

More questions! My new betta...

Well, I got a new betta today and he's pretty stressed out from the two hour car ride home so he's still in the cup he came it. I also purchased a five gallon tank for him, and have a spare one gallon.
I order silk plants online last weekend and they are supposed to be here tomorrow, so all I have for decorations for him are two little caves and the gravel.

My question is, what should I do with him until I get the plants? Should I leave him in the cup, put him in the one gallon, or put him in the five gallon with only two caves? The caves are not tall enough to be close to the water surface, so I could only fill the 5 gal half full.

I don't know. I feel guilty leaving him in the little cup but at the same time I don't want to stress him out more than necessary! It also might be 22-26 hours before I am able to put the new plants in there, if they even get here by tomorrow.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #2 
LunaStars004

You should use the 1 gallon for a quarantine tank for now, (quarantine tanks should be bigger than 1 but you can use it) and keep the betta in the 1 gallon tank for 2 or 3 weeks. You can prevent and treat any diseases that the betta might have or get in the quarantine tank before moving it to its permanent home, and while it is in the quarantine tank you can let the 5 gallon tank cycle Hope I helped!
LunaStars004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #3 
DragonFish

.....Last I checked a 1 gallon was a perfect QT size for a single betta alone. I'm afraid I must disagree with you there. ;)

Hmm.....you know, personally if I was in your situation, I would fill up the new five gallon, get the heater going, then float his cup in the tank, wrap a towel around the tank so its nice and darkish, and let him be until the plants come in tomorrow. You would likely end up removing him anyway to get everything situated to your liking(or at least I probably would xD)so why not wait a little bit and just add him in once you've got his home all set up and ready to go?
Don't feel too bad about leaving him in the cup over night. He'll be alright. If I can successfully move three bettas cross-country 6 days in a rickety driving camper in little cups, one more night in his cup isn't going to harm your guy. xD

Since he is going to be alone in his new five gallon, its not quite as huge of a deal if you QT or not, but as an extra precaution it wouldn't do any harm IF you feel like thats what you want to do. You could also keep him in QT and try a fishless cycle with the second five gallon so you're not dealing with two fish-in cycles, if you want. Up to you.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #4 
Xeek

Bettas are not usually shy fish. There would be nothing wrong putting him in the 5G now. I would also treat the water with some bacteria since it's a new tank and not cycled. Bettas dont need to really hide much, but they do love to have a big leaf to hang out under. Not having any decor is nto going to hurt your betta. In fact its better than a cup because there's more space to swim and more water for the pollution to go in (poop).

Of course get the heater and filter going. Get the water to temp, and dechlorinate the water. Then put him in. If he is the only fish in the tank I don't see why you can't QT him there; although I guess if he ended up having ich it would be a pain to really uncontaminate the 5g. Really though you just treat the whole tank if hes the only fish.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

The thing is, now I have to order a second heater and the first one hasn't even shipped yet.. so I'm afraid both of them will have to be in room temp for awhile longer, and I'll have to pick favorites because one will have a heater sooner than the other... I might skip the quarantine tank and just wait until I get my silk plants tomorrow to move him. The only thing is I have to work so I won't have quite as much time after school. I did get a gravel vac today, though xD

I just would feel bad moving him around too much and since DaBaDee loves his 5 gallon so much more than the one gallon... hmm. Also, right now the one gallon tank is the only thing I really have to do water changes. I'm not sure what everyone else uses for that, haha. Is it okay if I do very small water changes in his cup just in case the water they used is a lot different than the water here?

The cup is so tiny the water has to be building ammonia quickly, and I'm not so sure it wasn't already bad quality. I won't have my test kit until tomorrow either.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #6 
Xeek

In a pet store betta cup you can easily empty half the water and add more, and do it again if you want to do a 100 % change... Use turkey baster to clean the bottom.

Acclimation is still a must. The petstore here has 6pH! My water is 8. I acclimate my bettas for 30min - 1hr. Slowly adding water every few minutes.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Haha, the addiction gets bad quickly! Just wait, soon you'll start looking into how to divide! xD

You could do small little water changes in his cup for sure, that sounds like a perfect idea, slowly getting him a little more used to your water chemistry while giving him some nice fresh, clean water. ;)

Oh! And since you are waiting on your heater being delivered....scratch what I said about floating him in the tank. I assumed you may have picked up a heater, and that would have just been to keep him a little cozier. Just wrap a little towel around his cup instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
Bettas are not usually shy fish. There would be nothing wrong putting him in the 5G now. I would also treat the water with some bacteria since it's a new tank and not cycled. Bettas dont need to really hide much, but they do love to have a big leaf to hang out under. Not having any decor is nto going to hurt your betta. In fact its better than a cup because there's more space to swim and more water for the pollution to go in (poop).
I actually must respectfully disagree here....bettas are curious and inquisitive and active fish, yes, but they do like and prefer to have cover. No they don't often hide and aren't exactly 'shy'(though it depends on personality), but based on my own research and experience bettas do like to have a nice amount of cover to swim around and rest on and feel a little more secure with that cover.
While most bettas do often tend to tolerate open spaces alright, many do stress in more open spaces which is often why a betta will stress in larger tanks(which often are decorated sparsely)leading to the myth that they prefer smaller spaces.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you! And yes, I did look for a heater but of course I still can't find one anywhere, not a 25 watt or an adjustable! -_- I know I should have waited until I had everything but I just could not pass this little guy up and he will still do better in a larger room temp tank than a little tiny room temp cup so I am comforting myself that way, haha.

Anyways, I put a thermometer into the new bettas tank and he was coming over to check it out. He's not as jumpy as when he first got here... I figured he wouldn't be. I've just let him sit in his cup for a little bit because he had been sloshed around for so long and put the paper bag in front of him so it would be a little dark and so moving shadows would not spook him..

He seems pretty friendly :)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #9 
Syriiven

Aww~ happy to hear your rescuing another betta from a tiny cup =) I'm a little confused on things - DaBaDee is in one 5 gallon now right? And you have the new one, and the water changing 1 gallon?

The cups do build ammonia fast - some people have suggested to me floating a container in the new tank so he can acclimate to temperature. Plus that will give your new guy some more room.

Every betta I've put in a tank from a cup have been fine, just doing small amounts of change to the water so just in case there's a messed up PH, it won't shock him. My lfs and home are very close in PH, tho my lfs has calcium in their water (it's so gross). Anyways~~ you could do small water changes int he cup for a few hours then try moving him to a room temperature temp home.

That's what I've been doing with Demi and she doesnt stress out too bad. Just leave them in the dark so they can be calm and feel safe.

Either way, goodluck! I want to see pictures!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

I have one picture I posted in a few threads... One in the Betta Pictures subforum, Journals and also in the last thread I posted in this subforum. They are all the same picture, though:p I just have one good pic for now since I've been keeping him in the dark. I'm sure I'll take more tomorrow, haha!

I'm just unsure if I want to move him to the 5 gal yet. He's still in his cup and DaBaDee is in my other 5 gal. I've been adding small amounts of water and he doesn't get freaked out. He just chases the little floaties that come up when I pour it in. I can't find a turkey bastor anywhere! I know we had one, somewhere........

Also I gave him one pellet just to see if he'd eat and he scarfed down the new brand I got just as fast as DaBaDee does... And he's considerably smaller than him. I'm glad they both like the new food I got :)