Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #1 
cbernhard11

Exclamation Female's cuadal fin seems paralyzed

Hello I am brand new to this forum and semi new to owning betta's in general.
I have a 10 gallon sorority tank with 3 crowntail females in it with a couple little otocinclus. One of them was doing fine until a few hours ago she started hiding and clamping her fins. When she did start swimming it seemed like her cuadal fin doesn't move at all and its discolored. It doesn't look like cotton to me but it could still be a fungus I'm not sure. They have been doing the usual chasing each other and flaring to establish their hierarchy for the past few weeks but I thought they had finally finished so I'm not sure if this little girl is injured from one of the others or not. What should I do? I have her quarantined at the moment :(
cbernhard11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 
LunaStars004

I am not an expert on sickness, but I think she could have some sort of disease. :( I am sorry
LunaStars004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #3 
cbernhard11

if it helps at all this is what she used to look like when we first got her
and this is now
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #4 
sainthogan

How old is she? It looks like to me that she also has stress stripes. She could just be extremely stressed in the sorority. Try adding more hiding places to see if that helps - if that doesn't work, try quarantining her for a while to see if she improves. My new boy was like that when I got him - he was shipped to me in the mail and when he arrived here, they dumped the bags outside in the snow pile and he almost froze. He couldn't move his ventral fins for several days and he was showing light stress stripes.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #5 
Eggbert

I've always heard the minimum for a sorority was 4. She does look stressed and looks like she has fin damage.
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #6 
cbernhard11

yeah she was stressed. the first picture was from when we first put her in about 2 weeks ago and the second was when I quarantined her. In between then she didn't used to have her stress stripe but being in a new tank is probably stressing her out. We will probably go get 2 more this weekend so we have 5. Do you think the fin damage will heal itself? I'm also considering adding a little bit of salt. I've heard it helps cure them of some diseases?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #7 
sainthogan

They should heal on their own. Clean, warm water is the best for this. Aquarium salt will help, but it's only meant to used temporarily. 10 days is the max I think. Make sure if you use it, that it's aquarium salt designed for fresh water tanks. Table salt is not recommended because it contains iodine which can be fatal to your fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote