Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #111 
Twixies

I don't like it when the pellets fall though, because sometimes he can't see that the food is falling and I end up having to reach my hand down and retrieve it because I know I'm not suppose to leave leftover food in there. I sometimes point at the food and he turns and sees it, but sometimes he doesn't, it gets a bit frustrating since sometimes I'm in a rush to go to school or something and I just don't want to waste the time to reach in the tank and get it, I end up leaving it in the tank until I get home. Is it alright to do that? I'm not sure, but yeah.
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #112 
AyalaCookiejar

It shouldn't hurt short term. I recommend getting a siphone to siphon out uneaten food and poo at the bottom of the tank. I got mine for like $6 at earl may but they have them all over.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #113 
DragonFish

I know what you mean, it can be a little frustrating a first....but after a while your betta should get used to the new food and head down to the bottom to catch it/eat it right away before it falls. Its just going to take some time.

But no, it shouldn't hurt short-term like that.

I dunno about using a siphon, I'd imagine that would take out a lot more water then necessary if you're just getting food with it. I'd suggest a VERY well cleaned/new and unused turkey baster instead to get uneaten food. Just stick it in, suck up the pellets real quick, dispose of them, and away you go. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #114 
Twixies

Oh wow, DUH! Why didn't I think about the turkey baster idea? Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #115 
DragonFish

xD Sure thing.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #116 
AyalaCookiejar

What size is the tank? Sorry.

I have a mini vacuum and it takes a pretty long time to siphon out just one gallon of water. I can easily siphon out all the food I see out of the bottom without being able to tell that I took out any water at all. Then again, I have a five gallon tank and a very small turkey bastor, lol. I don't like sticking my hands in the tank because I wash them very well before I do so every time. The siphon, for me, takes less time than washing my hands. :p
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #117 
Twixies

I have a 2.5 gallon tank, so it's not the same for me
Old 12-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #118 
Twixies

More updates: I'm starting to notice how he swims around the bottom looking for food now. He's so smart! I love him so much XD!

Now as for me, I'm leaving tomorrow on a short trip to Lake Tahoe, going to be gone for about 36 hours, I'm going to feed him tomorrow morning and be back the night (maybe afternoon?) of New Year's Eve, Kitkat is going to be alright, right? I believe in him (:

As for the new plant, do you think Kitkat likes how it takes up about a quarter of the tank size (well maybe less than that)? It has 3 stems/branches things, so if he does like how it takes up a lot of room, I can spread those out the next time I do a 100% water change (that's when I move the decorations around), if not, I'll just put it back the way it is right now. Though, I was thinking, if I were to spread the stems things out, the leaves of it would be at a slightly lower spot, which he can't lay on the leaves and be able to breathe on the surface anymore, which I saw him do a couple of times now. What are your thought guys?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #119 
AyalaCookiejar

Make sure he can reach the surface, lol.
They like a lot of cover and places to rest.

He will be just fine for 36 hours (as long as he's not due for a water change). It's a good idea to fast them once a week anyways.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #120 
DragonFish

+1 :)

On the fasting however, I personally disagree. I don't fast, and only did for a short period of time in my beginning months, but soon gave up as I found it very difficult to remember to not feed. I have never had any troubles with swim bladder or bloating, even on the occasion an extra pellet/bloodworm or two is dropped in there.

So long as you're not excessively over-feeding and you have a nice, healthy, active betta in a proper environment, regular fasting is an option, IMO. Not at all necessary. Though bettas in the wild might not find food every day, these bettas we buy in the petstore cups are very well domesticated....while they share several traits with their wild ancestors, its really like comparing a dog to a wolf. Wolves don't always find food daily, but you wouldn't fast your dog once a week(or at least, I've never heard of that practice...).